Sign in to follow this  

1983 175 2 stroke - honing the cylinder?

Is there anything special we need to know when we hone the cylinder of my friends 175 2 stroke? What about breakin?

It is a three wheeler, 1983 YT175, that we are putting rings in. This is a rare bird. It's quite clean considering its age. He said it smoked too much and pulled the head.

Cylinder looks pretty good with a 1/4 inch dia area of what looks to me to be minor pitting near the top. Standard bore with no apparent taper. We bought NOS standard rings and upper end gaskets off Ebay.

re-ringing it will do NOTHING to affect the smoke. its a two stroke- its SUPPOSED to burn oil! if its oil injected, you can turn down the injector pump a little, otherwise use a higher ratio (less oil when you mix the gas).

Excess smoking can be a sign of a bad clutch side crank seal. Has the gearbox oil level gone down? If so, the engine may be drawing in the oil thru that seal on the upstroke.

Thanks guys, even those from the XL board (;

We're doing this as compensation for the 2 70's DTs, a 75 Hon XL350, 80 Hon XL500R, and many parts for an 80 Yam XT500 and 71 Hon SL350.

The cylinder does not have coatings so hone until the rings gaps fit.

But I bet that you will find that the cylinder is out of round.

I had a new 81 125 that I just sold last year and after about 200 hours it needed bored every time.

I actually had to put a new jug on it once.

Damn good trikes.

The 175 I just rebuilt for my buddy smoked and had to be bored also, so dont be dissiponted if re-ringing does not fix the problem.

For some reason the cylinders are softer than the rings and they tend to wear out of round.