Deep woods riding alone tips?

i prefer to ride alone 98% of the time, the other 2 are ppl showing me new areas. i like to trail ride or make my own, dont do the gnarley climbs by myself

carry a almost complete tool kit,soon to carry handgun for coyotes and no cell phone(i want peace not technology). the only thing i m really worried about is MAJOR injury and complete bike failure.

smart not smart total moron asshat or organ donor?

anyone out there like me could shed some tips for a 27 year old out of shape shadow of my formar self?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride by myself quite a bit only because I have a funky schedule or sometimes a buddy can't make it or does not show. I always have someone who knows the general area I'm in and what time to expect me back. I carry basic tools, make sure my bike is ready, fluids in my camel back, a small first aid kit, a 9mm pistol, and a cell phone. I try to stay away from terrain too technical to ride over safely, keep my speeds relatively sane, and remind myself if I go down in the 120 degree heat I'm ****ed. I wear all the protective gear I can find also. I ride an XR400 (people call it a sofa) which has not left me stranded eventhough I've had to ride out on flats quite a few times. When you ride alone you are taking an extra risk. Be smart, be prepared, let someone know when to start looking for you and the general area you'll be in. It is quite enjoyable to ride alone for me but I do it with caution. I will use my pistol or start a fire to alert someone I need help if I have to. Stories of people found dead out in the desert alone are to be ignored. HTH

carry a camel back full of water. those emergency blankets in case of a bad fall. you dont want to go into shock. spare tire tubes, and those little 9 oz. air canasters to fill the tire up. firt aid stuff. a cell phone, gps is a must have! basically anything that can happen to ruin a ride. prepeare for it. have fun but dont ride at 100% leave it at 60 -70%. less chance of getting hurt.

isnt first aid duct tape a couple of wire ties? i just got back into serous riding when i bought the wr in july....i just remember when i was 11 i had the (wreck of death) i was very close to death, and riding alone 25 miles from a road.

i broke my neck in 2 places back in 3, 11 ribs, both bones in my left wrist impailed by the clutch lever broke my nose and fractured my skull.(yes i was wearing full gear) i made it home on the reminants of my 77 yz 80 and collapsed in the driveway... to wake up 16 hours later in intensive care........

My standard advice on riding alone is Don't Do It! I've ridden since 14, and learned way back that it just isn't worth the associated risks. I've seen alot of reasons not to, but nothing that even comes close to your own story. I'm familiar with the terrain your riding in, having just recently spent a weekend at Hatfield-McCoy's system. Again, I'll say don't do it...it's gonna end up biting off your ass...again. And trust me, I'm not in any way trying to be critical or judgemental, just trying to be helpful. I love riding more than any other sport or hobby I could ever spend my time doing...but it's not worth dying over when it can be so easily avoided.

...soon to carry handgun for coyotes... the only thing i m really worried about is MAJOR injury and complete bike failure...

The coyotes are NOT a threat to you--so first thing to do is forget about the handgun--it is extra weight and it is unlikely to help you in an emergency. (If you are afraid of coyotes, just get over it.)

For MAJOR injury protection, carry enough survival gear that you can administer emergency first aid to yourself and survive one night alone (to give rescue a chance to find you)--this should include thermal protection and water. For example, a space blanket and 32 oz water. If injured, you can survive 24 hrs without food but you need protection from the cold and sufficient water to fight off shock and dehydration. Carry what you need to treat blood loss, a broken bone, snake bite, or heat exhaustion.

Also, take simple, common-sense precautions--for example, let someone know your route if possible.

If you already have a cell phone, sure, carry it turned off. However, many places that you like to ride (away from civilization) will not have a signal--so you can't count on the cell. If you are riding alone for extended periods in extremely remote areas, renting a satellite phone might save your life (about $100 a week--unlike a cell, they work anywhere).

In unfamiliar remote areas, try to carry a GPS receiver, map, and compass so that if you must walk out you are more likely to walk in a useful direction.

In case of major injury your task is to stabilize yourself until help arrives--not (usually) to treat the injury (for example, if cut, you need to stop the blood but don't try to do the stiches). So carry things that support you.

BTW, I believe many experienced riders would tell you to ride with a buddy because (a) it can be more fun, and (:ride: if one of you goes down the other can ride for help. Riding alone in the wilderness carries additional risk. ?

By all means carry the mentioned equipment and most importantly, familiarize yourself with the area you are riding. Knowing where you are and where the dangerous terrain is the most important thing. Does it Matter what you carry if you foolishly ride on terrain you are unfamiliar with potential serious consequences? I too ride alone but carefully scout out my 35-70 mile loops. Stay in control, isn't that what its all about?? Funny thing is, GROUP riders sometimes have bagged on me for riding alone, but then need my tools, parts or knowledge. Funny, maybe some group riders need others because they don't go prepared or grasp the FULL consequences any wilderness sport. After all...life is terminal! Don't let unreasonable fear guide your decisions. my 2 cents. ?

I was out riding by myself and got badly hurt. I almost didn't get out.

The cell phones don't get a signal most places by me.

I still ride alone but take it easy. I also keep some Jack Daniels with me in case.

isnt first aid duct tape a couple of wire ties? i just got back into serous riding when i bought the wr in july....i just remember when i was 11 i had the (wreck of death) i was very close to death, and riding alone 25 miles from a road.

i broke my neck in 2 places back in 3, 11 ribs, both bones in my left wrist impailed by the clutch lever broke my nose and fractured my skull.(yes i was wearing full gear) i made it home on the reminants of my 77 yz 80 and collapsed in the driveway... to wake up 16 hours later in intensive care........

Isn't it crazy how you had the senses and ability to get back to your house and as soon as you did...you lost it only to wake up 16 hours later. I had the same exact thing happen to me when downhill mountain biking by myself. I don't remember almost 30 hours...I still doing remember going biking that day, or being in the hospital. They told me I made it to public where I could get cell phone signal and call for help. I remember working friday morning, and waking up saturday afternoon...nothing in between. Thank God we made it!

I sometimes ride alone, but never in the deep woods. However, I do ride in the desert.

take precautions, keep a map and a gps. Mark your starting point. Write them down and don't depend on the gps battery. Someone should know where you are riding.

also, I have just ordered myself a set of hockey pads (sounds funny, but true). another TT'er showed me a picture of his and how he modified it slightly with a roost deflector. I plan to at least try this. I cannot get hurt and I must get to work on monday. I think this will offer more collar bone protection than anything else.

this is from tt'er "BobbySands"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Trailryder42/cp3.jpg

My wr is pretty solid, I have all of the frame and handlebar guards.

Frequently, I'll ride alone too...but I now try to limit the trips to times/places where (A) my family knows the general area I'm riding, and (? there will be other riders in the area.

It's easy to get overconfident exploring riding areas alone...and suddenly you're not in control any longer. I frequently ride on a 520 acre parcel near my home, which has lots of challenging climbs and cattle single-track trails. A few months back, I was riding alone and did a stream crossing (which I've done a million times) and climbed out on the other side. The ground on the steep bank was muddy, and when I stopped for a minute...my 450 started to slide backwards down the hill and off a 2 1/2' bank into the stream (would have made a great video...another reason to have a friend along). Landed on top of me in 2' of water, but thankfully I wasn't knocked out or wedged, and was able to get out from under the bike.

The engine had sucked in water, so I had to pull the 450 up a 2 1/2' vertical bank and then 9' up onto the main trail without the help of the motor. Then I had to hike out a few miles on foot to get the trailer. During the walk, I seriously re-examined the wisdom of riding alone.

Bottom line, take all precautions and don't be overconfident. It's pretty nice to have a buddy along when a bike sputters out, or you've been hurt.

By the way, yes, coyotes are usually scared of humans but last April I rode into a group of 9 in the middle of a trail and it wasn't clear whether they were going to be offensive or defensive...so I pinned it in third right through the group and out the other side. If I'd gone down and been hurt, though, am not sure what might have happened.

Remember..."pride goes before a fall"

I ride alone alot,and I know you can get hurt,but there is one more thing I am aware of.If you are on the trail or come back to your truck you are alone.Bad guys are in the back country.I talked to 1 guy who said he got back to his truck,2 guys came up to him pointed a gun at him took his bike and shot the tires out in his truck.Could of shot him,if he was not alone this may not of happened.Not trying to scare anyone just something to be aware of when someone comes up to you when you are riding alone.

I to ride alone alot but to add a touch of dumb I prefer to ride at night. I have an H.I.D. headlight and helmet lt so the trail is really well lit and the chances of meeting another bike or Quad without one of us seeing the other is very low. I file a flight plan with my wife take my cell phone and off I go ? If I'm not back by midnight she'd call some buddies that know the trails I ride :applause: might not be the best plan but I've been riding alone for 25yrs and I stick to terrain I know and ride carefully. I was told by a search and rescue guy that they can locate a cell phone anywhere as long as it is turned on signal or not. LARR: You have got to move to Canada man, I'm much more likely to come across someone looking to smoke a joint than some wacco with a gun. :ride:

I to ride alone alot but to add a touch of dumb I prefer to ride at night. I have an H.I.D. headlight and helmet lt so the trail is really well lit and the chances of meeting another bike or Quad without one of us seeing the other is very low. I file a flight plan with my wife take my cell phone and off I go ? If I'm not back by midnight she'd call some buddies that know the trails I ride :applause: might not be the best plan but I've been riding alone for 25yrs and I stick to terrain I know and ride carefully. I was told by a search and rescue guy that they can locate a cell phone anywhere as long as it is turned on signal or not. LARR: You have got to move to Canada man, I'm much more likely to come across someone looking to smoke a joint than some wacco with a gun. :ride:

Maybe all the wacco's gave up on Canada cause they could only find people looking for a joint instead of carrying! :applause:

Some of the guys I ride with are diehard night loopers, I've gone along a few times, when someone had an extra bike with lights or just didn't care to partake that particular time. I will agree that you definitely have the advantage of long range forewarning at night. And it's pretty damn fun, too...except the one time a buddy let me take off on his KDX...he musta been more drunk than me, cause it took all I could muster to barely make it out of camp, give up & turn around without falling over...but I still had a great time riding the High Output Igloo by campfire light.

I'm going to add my voice to those who say don't ride alone. The only time I hurt myself while trail riding, I was alone. Luckily the injury was not life threatening, but a broken thumb in 3 places combined with a fracture to the same wrist and a twisted, strained knee with a chip fracture really complicated getting back to the truck, getting my gear and bike loaded, (if I had left anything behind, it would have disappeared in a heartbeat), and driving home for help. This happened in 1979, so calling for help on my cellphone was not an option. I have never gone dirt riding alone since. It is my personal policy that if I don't have a companion, I don't go. That's my 2 cents worth.

I'm going to add my voice to those who say don't ride alone. The only time I hurt myself while trail riding, I was alone. Luckily the injury was not life threatening, but a broken thumb in 3 places combined with a fracture to the same wrist and a twisted, strained knee with a chip fracture really complicated getting back to the truck, getting my gear and bike loaded, (if I had left anything behind, it would have disappeared in a heartbeat), and driving home for help. This happened in 1979, so calling for help on my cellphone was not an option. I have never gone dirt riding alone since. It is my personal policy that if I don't have a companion, I don't go. That's my 2 cents worth.

Thank you, OTB...I was starting to feel like I might be the first man to ever be left behind by the Marines.....BY GAWD!

Good thread, GOOD info.

In addition to all those thoughts - I also leave a sheet of paper on the windshield and periodically update:

going to do trail 3, now noon

going to do trail 4, now 130pm

That is if it applies.

I have been shot at by people not wanting to be bothered, just a warning shot but I understand how a pistol could be handy especially if it was more accessible than in a back pack (holster). Rattle snakes are freqently an issue. In addition we have seen bears too, what worked for use is zapping them with the horn. I really like dirt bikes with plates and equipment...

Anyone suggest a whistle? I would suggest a flare gun but Smokey the bear might get upset... If it is appropriate - you could buy a couple of Garmin Rino 530's. If you carry one of them and if it is on someone with another one can locate you if they are within a few miles (terrain dependent). Yet another idea...

Edit - Dwight, whats your input?