Deep woods riding alone tips?

I'd like to carry a handgun on my motorcycle to the local target range. Anybody know how to do this, legally, in California? ?

(In some states you can legally carry a concealed weapon on a motorcycle, but not so in California, unless it is unloaded and in a locked container. In a car you can carry legally in the trunk but not in the glove compartment. What qualifies as a locked container on a motorcycle?)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no names mentioned ) but a new pot field shows up every year, and some of the ppl i know some i dont. ever seen "without a paddle"? i would hate to shoot someone. but if its them or me, i will be the one digging the hole )

i might even consider using my backpack 410 ga a whole 16 inches long folded up

o i think if a weapon is dissambled it can be carried

whats funny is i can tear down and put back together my 45 in less than 30 seconds

The coyotes are NOT a threat to you--so first thing to do is forget about the handgun--it is extra weight and it is unlikely to help you in an emergency. (If you are afraid of coyotes, just get over it.)

If you want to carry its all good... but I had a concern with that as soon as I saw it as well. You think coyotes are going to hurt you while riding your bike? Even off your bike... they are not going to bother you. You are in full gear as well (assuming) how hard is it to kick off a mangey coyote. Its not a pack of wolves - its a coyote for God's sake.

Or do you want to just shoot them for fun? &%$#@!?

For sure i'd recommend extra clothes. You may not be cold now, but if you are hurt and can't move you will be for sure! This goes for any outdoor sport. If you are going to be out for a long time i'd even bring a sleeping bag just in case. Get a nice lightweight one from REI. A 45 deg bag is probably going to be fine. Also get compression straps. It weighs a pound or two (feels really light) and takes up the size of about a gallon of milk. I don't go out on long dirt trips but I always carry a bag on long day trips. Its really good security and you know you can not only make it out for the night, but do it in comfort.

And don't forget the water purification tablets. Thats if there even is water ha!

If you are going to do alot of remote trips, and can afford it. Forget about renting the SAT phone for $100. Just buy one and get a prepaid plan. Phones are as low as $300-$400 bucks and prepaid service is cheap assuming its just for emergencies.

You can actually rent them for alot cheaper ($7/day) so thats what I would recommend if you can get a good deal.

Most of the time if I didn't ride alone I wouldn't be able to ride...............

I tell the wife where I'll be at, so she knows where to send them looking for the carcass. She has the gps coordinates of where I park on the computer, and the trak downloads I usually ride. I keep the basics (personal first aid kit, water, gps, phone, ID etc.) in my camelbak. I ride sensibly, but know it's a still a calculated risk.

I've been hurt before, both racing and play riding and had to ride it out myself or just lay there, so I know it can happen. I'm not fooling myself. But it's a personal decision I make. If I'm wrong, at least I'll have gone doing something I love. I just hope I'm found in time for someone to take advantage of my organ-doner card.............

As for carring a gun with you on the trail you would need a CCW, Concieled Carry Weapon. But like everyone else said if your protecting yourself from animals it is most likely useless. I have seen a black bear on the trail and it scared me soo bad. But I had a split second to react and I pulled the clutch and revved up the bike, it was a two stoke with a pipe on it so it screamed. The bear was so scared he triped over his own feet and ran into the woods. Bears and animals are more scared of you as a human in general let alone when you are in there woods on a very load very bright bike.

I can understand why you would want to carry a gun with you. I had to leave my girlfriend, now wife, alone on the trail so I could go get help becuase my brohter bike broke down. She was by herself and very scared because you could get away with murder in the woods. I only had a knife that was a nice size but no gun. It just makes you feel safer to have it.

The chances of something happening are very small but what if it did and you could have prepared for it. Like if something would have happend to my girl and I didnt have anything for her I would be crushed and never forgive myself for what happend.

If you are carrying a gun or want to make sure you have a good gun and keep it in a sealed place. On the person like you normaly would carry it will destroy the gun. Guns dont like sand and dirt and water. So make sure you keep it safe and dont have the chamber loaded also with safty on.

On a side not one of the safest guns is a glock 9. Not alot of punch but plenty of safty things on it and its small and light.

P.S. Remember that post on here about that group in of people that tied a rope on a tree and pulled it tight when a rider came by. there are people out there that dont like us riding on trails that pass by there land or they think its there land. So crazy stuff does happen.

Just my two cents

My pistol permit works in Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee,Texas, Utah, Wyoming. All for $20 a year. ?

I had to leave my girlfriend, now wife, alone on the trail so I could go get help becuase my brohter bike broke down. She was by herself and very scared because you could get away with murder in the woods. I only had a knife that was a nice size but no gun.

Why didn't you just ride her out two up?

Don't anyone tell me it can't be done. I know better.

I ride alone rather often on any type of trail when I'm close to home (less than 10 miles away). But if I'm with a friend I will still cary all these essentials for my survival.

One thing I have done is bring a GPS, marking all the trails I go on for the first time. When I return home I print out my route on Google Earth and then Label the route. Each area that I remember which has a difficult part, I mark it on the map and give it a nick name which I will get to why later if you can't figure it out. When I leave the house I leave the route layout on the counter with the time I left and the time I expect to return. This way if I dont return my family can do one of two things. Call the Police or get on another motorcycle and come find me.

I also carry a small back pack (cammelback) which contains 100oz of water (which it's important to hydrate before you go riding so you dont drink all your water while riding)

I carry enough protein bars and snacks to get me through a day or so.

I carry the basic tools to operate on my bike and fix minor if any damage and a can of fix-a-flat.

I do carry a cell phone and I do keep it on at all times. Why you may ask? Most cell phones today have a GPS tracking device for emergency purposes to help locate the phone. So if I come up missing...and no one can find me...my backpack is strapped to my back pretty well. Where I ride there is always some type of service also since I check frequently to dummy proof my course. (there are some short areas here and there which may not have full service).

Also if I should become injured...all I have to do it pull my cell phone out...leave a message with someone in my family stateing what course I am riding on and near what significant terrain features (or nick names of the area I am near).

I also carry a basic pocket knife, sharpening (flint) stone (for fires), a bright white LED type flashlight, and a red flashlight.

Lastly...I do carry my GPS which gives out a 10 digit grid location just incase I need to be air lifted out...you never know.

I'm sure there are a few things I am missing but non-the-less. This should help out someone get a better understanding of what to do to prepare if your going out riding alnoe or with a friend.

hope this helps

Craig

Why didn't you just ride her out two up?

Don't anyone tell me it can't be done. I know better.

yep, i have been along twice when a friend's grown son got ridden out many miles. i rode his busted bike out then rode back double with another guy to get my bike.

i've also ridden double with a girl on the back to go up to a sweet scenic lookout/picnic spot that got too rocky for her to ride comfortably, so we just parked her bike and she got on my 300 and rode the last mile or so. that was actually pretty hot. guess i'm changing the subject here, lol.

i've also ridden double with a girl on the back to go up to a sweet scenic lookout/picnic spot that got too rocky for her to ride comfortably, so we just parked her bike and she got on my 300 and rode the last mile or so. that was actually pretty hot. guess i'm changing the subject here, lol.

i'd highly recommend this to anyone. good way to get a "feel" for another riders possible abilities.

yep, i have been along twice when a friend's grown son got ridden out many miles. i rode his busted bike out then rode back double with another guy to get my bike.

Yeah, I did an approximate 25 mile loop two-up with the wife one time with another couple and a solo rider who I'll just refer to as Mr. Lonely. Never, ever, ever again. I made the mistake of following the others out of a pit stop down an unfamiliar branch trail. Wouldn't have been a bit of a problem solo...got through it without incident, but the next day I felt like I was in a body cast...nothing wanted to move. Had we been on a different bike, it could've been much different, but the ole' CR250 wasn't exactly designed with this in mind...the trusty steed still hasn't completely forgiven me for that one!

but the ole' CR250 wasn't exactly designed with this in mind

the plan for the future is to get one of them gay little drz400s's (with buddy pegs) and put a beefier spring in the back. i found i could rail corners and easily get up sketchy climbs with someone on the back, but we were bottoming on the g-outs. with a 115 lb hottie on the back, instead of a 170 lb sweaty hairy guy, it should work even better.

rodney smith drops real A riders with his wife on the back, lol.

the next day I felt like I was in a body cast

i had quite a bit of 'stiffness' too, but it was during the ride. :applause: . lol, the next day i was fine, except i still can't get rid of the girl. ?

Why does everyone hate the idea of packing a gun? Its like a spare tube - I would rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one.

I personally don't pack, but I'm a bad a$$ and don't need to :applause: ....that and I don't own a handgun ?

As for the rest - use common sence. Don't ride farther than your willing to walk. Why weigh yourself down with more tools than you need. Short of tightening nuts/bolts or fixing a flat - there isn't much you can do without parts. The emergency blanket isn't a bad idea, and everyone should always cary water no matter where they go. Other than that, let someone know where your going and always cary $20. Why $20 - its enough to get gas (almost :applause:) food, or bribe someone for a ride. Don't bother with a cell phone unless you have coverage in that area.

I recommend the buddy system because there are times that you just need the extra man power (bike is stuck) or you break down and it beats walking back to the truck.

Just a tip for those people who ride alone in the woods:

If you meet a wolf (particularly one that is dressed like a grandma), you may casually comment on how big his eyes and ears are, but you should stop there and not mention his teeth. On a bynote it is also best if you don't wear a red helmet when speaking to said wolf. And finally, if you happen to be dining at the Three Bears restaurant I highly reccommend the small porridge (the others are simply too hot or too cold).

Meatbomb.......

Yeah, not sure why so many freaked out over the gun. I don't carry one myself, because I'm not likely to need it where I ride (I think the last bear in Indiana was about 12000 years ago). If I DID feel like I needed one though, I wouldn't have a problem carrying it. It's just another tool. Heck my mom carries one when she's mushroom hunting, in case she meets up with a bad guy.

Lots of good tips here on other items though. ?

Emergency Personal Locator Beacon:

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has finally approved the sale of 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) in the U.S. a proven lifesaving device that's been available elsewhere in the world for many years.

A PLB is a pocket-sized emergency beacon, a scaled down version of the EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) and ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) that boaters and pilots, respectively, have had available to them for years. PLBs will fit in a pocket, weigh in at about a pound or so and they are expected to sell for prices starting as low as $550 (street price) initially.

If things go REALLY Wrong ~ you can use one of these... Just know you are responsible for the rescue costs under some conditions... So know when to use them.

Just a tip for those people who ride alone in the woods:

If you meet a wolf (particularly one that is dressed like a grandma), you may casually comment on how big his eyes and ears are, but you should stop there and not mention his teeth. On a bynote it is also best if you don't wear a red helmet when speaking to said wolf. And finally, if you happen to be dining at the Three Bears restaurant I highly reccommend the small porridge (the others are simply too hot or too cold).

Meatbomb.......

? Beefbooger, you have gone off the deep end, my friend! One too many times using the cranial landing apparatus?! :applause:

rodney smith drops real A riders with his wife on the back, lol.

Yeah a fellow friend of mine saw it. He was riding at stoneyford,Nor-Cal place, and said that smith passed him through the trees, like off the trail with his wife on on the back and then just smoked, not even a dust cloud after a few turns, and this guy goes at a good clip.

:applause: ...speaking of guns, anyone see that movie called "WRONG TURN"... holy crap... parts of that were worse than Blair Witch Project... if you happen to run into any of these inbred cannibals, or similar folks, you better have a gun... (i think i'll stick with known MX tracks for now!) ?