Sign in to follow this  

Suspension adjustment

I have a 06 TTR230. I am a bit heavier than the suspension is set up for and I need to adjust it. What is the best way to do that? Do I need the special tools to loosen those nuts on the shock?

The owner's manual and my service manual calls for a special tool. However, I used a dull punch and a small hammer to loosen the locking ring. Hold the punch on one of the notches at an angle then give it a few raps to loosen. You can do the same with the adjustment ring, just light little taps to get it to go in the direction you want it to. Mark your adjustment ring prior to movement so you can keep track of how many turns, etc, you get the picture.

Just take your time and use care so you don't mar or mishapen things.

i used a big flathead screwdriver and a hammer... losened the top washer then tightened the bottom one and spun by hand the top one down the the bottom one that i tightened and gave it a few spins witht he hammer and the screw driver to make sure it was tight..

i have a ttr 230 and i jump it so i need to stiffen my susspension a little so i dont bottom out as much any suggestions

i have a ttr 230 and i jump it so i need to stiffen my susspension a little so i dont bottom out as much any suggestions

Increase the preload on the rear and throw stiffer springs in the front. I believe the fork on the 230 is non adjustable...I may be wrong

Increase the preload on the rear and throw stiffer springs in the front. I believe the fork on the 230 is non adjustable...I may be wrong

You're right, no adjustment. Stock fork oil is 10W, I thought about changing to a 15W for starters (before changing springs). Any ideas on how much of a difference that could make?

or how about 20w or would that be to much or maybe a mix if that is possible

Going heavy on the fork oil will effect your dampening. Going too heavy on the fork oil won't allow the valving in the dampening rod to work properly. If you want the right compression, you need to go to the right springs. I have 10wt oil in my forks (up from 7wt) and I shimmed my fork spring by putting 5 washers between the fork spring and the collar and now my front fork is spot on for woods riding and alot better on jump landings. Maybe you should try that before investing in new fork springs

I need to locate my manual and figure out which direction I need to go. Thanks for the help. I knew you needed the special tool. Just wondered what options I had from there.