Sign in to follow this  

Scott's Steerin Damper Install

The only possible problem I can think of is that when you mount the post to the steering colar, make sure the bars turn full to the stops on each side.

On some bikes with the under bar mount, I've seen the lower clamp come into contact with the post before hitting the stops. This may not be a problem with the newer stock KTM lower clamp. I don't know. If the lower clamp does bump into the post before hitting the stops, measure the distance on each side. What I did was to draw a line on the lower clamp where it was contacting the post with a marker pen. Then, using the grinder, I cut a starting groove. Using a rat file I removed enough material so that the steering head could go all the way to the stops on each side without contacting the damper post.

Hopefully, this will not even be an issue for you. Good luck with the install and let us know how it goes.

:thumbsup:

Paul

Just installed one on an '06 525EXC. No problems whatsoever. Instructions are very clear about what to look for ( frame welds interfering with the frame clamp, steering stem bearing cover hitting the frame clamp or the pin binding up ). Mine bolted up perfectly, and is the best option I ever added to a bike. If you ride rocky trails or deep sand, you're gonna love it.

Make sure the arm has a little bit of clearance from the top of the post sleeve. Mine looked ok until I torqued it down and then it put an upward strain on the arm. Made it handle like it had molasses in it instead of whatever fluid it is supposed to be filled with. Granted, I didn't use the Scott's underbar mount so mine might have been different. But it is one more clearance to verify. Other than that.. .it was EASY.

thanks guys, picked it up today and the little color picture sheet

makes it look pretty simple. we'll see. installing this weekend and before

you know it i'll be asking for adjustment info.