Sign in to follow this  

Chattering Clutch

Both my friend and I have '06 KTM 525 EXC's.

When we initially engage the clutch the plates chatter. Is this common? It did not happen when I first bought the bike and it now has 5-6 good all day rides on it. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Both my friend and I have '06 KTM 525 EXC's.

When we initially engage the clutch the plates chatter. Is this common? It did not happen when I first bought the bike and it now has 5-6 good all day rides on it. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Typically, the clutch on these bikes is noisy. It is usually more noticable when the clutch is disengaged though. Nothing to worry about. Also, if you are using a full synthetic oil you may experience a little bit of slippage with the accompanying sound when the bike is cold. 5 or 6 good all day rides is nothing. I've got 4 good years on mine with the same clutch.

Good to know that, because I also get some clutch chatter when starting out heavy on the throttle. I just installed a Rekluse clutch kit, and thought that it might be causing a problem.

My clutch chattered also with the Rekluse, it normally means you are a gear or two too high. I switched to Chevron Delo 400 and am happier now with my clutch action.