Sign in to follow this  

1973 DT 250-Ignition Problem/Question

Can someone tell me how the thing sparks? I can't find the points!

The real prob is we don't have spark. We bypassed the ig switch thinking it might be like that. We also hooked up a 6 v battery thinking the generator may not be working.

They should be mounted to the stator plate, which is behind the flywheel, on the left side of the engine. You will most likely need a flywheel puller to access or change the points.

If you want to just clean the points with a points file you should be able to do it without pulling the flywheel. You just have to pull the cover and then line up the oblong hole in the flywheel with the points and then run the file across it a couple times. If that doesn't clean it up, you need to change the points (which will mean you have to pull the flywheel). Don't use sandpaper or emory cloth to clean the points because it'll leave residue in and around the points and you'll end up with a lot of misfires. Good luck, and I'll be doing this soon on both my DT1 and RT1 (hopefully this weekend) to make sure the points are in good shape.

I'm not sure about a DT250 Enduro, but from '72 on the MX's had a pointless CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). That may be why you can't find the points. If it is CDI, there are only a few things that could be wrong: the stator, the rotor or the CDI box. The kill switch could be shorted. Check all connections and trace the wires to look for breaks or insulation rubbed off, then test the components, including the coil. After that, it's time to cast a spell!