Sign in to follow this  

XR500 Pro's and Con's?

Hello all, I am considering purchasing a 84 XR500 locally for under a grand. Any pro's and con's appreciated. I currently own a Chinese 200 and want something with more power! I will be keeping the 200 for maybe a future girlfriend or one of my kids in a few years. Thanks for any and all feedback.

spend a couple hundred more and get a modern bike. XR 600's can be had for 1500 and are mo better engineered. XR 250's for less and loads of fun. Parts are more plentifull for a little newer bike as well.

pro : nice bike in it's day .If it's in good shape worth the money.

con: motors ran hot,which cooks the oil , which causes excessive

top end wear , if the oil isn't changed frequently.Don't ask me how I know.

If you jet it a little richer, it will help with the heat issue.

If you have the $$$ get a 91 or later XR600. In 91 Honda went to a cartridge fork and it's alot better than the damper rod forks on the the XR500 or pre-91 XR600's.

Parts will also become an issue. Honda stops supporting bikes when the get about 15 years old. After that, when the parts sell out they are gone. Since the XR600 was unchanged from 93 to 2000, parts will not be a problem for at least 10 more years.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading what has been said, I think I might keep saving until I can afford little newer XR600. I'm not in a rush as I still have my China bike that is quite fun for what it is. Plus I'm pretty new to the dual sport side of things. Been riding street bikes for the last 20+ years. Maybe a little more learnin before I jump up to something more powerful. Thanks again...