What do you bring with you on trail rides?

I am wondering what tools or spare parts you should bring if you are going for a 4-5 hour day of leisurely trail riding ??

I'm on a 05 crf250r...should I carry a spare plug? The two-smoker guy I am with will have about 6 of them because he fouls all the time :ride: .

I am going to change the oil right before going so I don't think I need to stop and change throughout the day.

Besides gas, is there anything else?

well i just went a few weeks back on my first 3 day trip about 2 hours from my house. I brought 3 plugs, (i only needed one) an 8mm wrench as it is the most common size on my bike, an 8mm socket and a 1/4inch drive rachet. A few hex keys to be able to tighten or loosen my bars, some chain lube and thats about it.

I am wondering what tools or spare parts you should bring if you are going for a 4-5 hour day of leisurely trail riding ??

I'm on a 05 crf250r...should I carry a spare plug? The two-smoker guy I am with will have about 6 of them because he fouls all the time :ride: .

I am going to change the oil right before going so I don't think I need to stop and change throughout the day.

Besides gas, is there anything else?

you were going to change your oil on the trail for a couple hour ride?

THAT I would like to see..lol

sorry, i digress, I always bring camelback, some snacks (jerky, sunflower seeds, snickers), few tools (depending on how far my journey is going to be taking me from civilization.. Wear all your gear..don't want to be injured miles from help!

I usually bring a 3 liter camleback filled with goodies. I carry snacks and other food goodies for when we are taking a break on the trail. I also bring a map, gps, batteries for gps, truck keys, cell phone and wallet. Cell phone is incase I need to make any emergency calls. Yes, I know that most places won't have coverage, but you will be surprised at how many places do have coverage. I bring my wallet incase we ride into civilization and decide to go get something to eat. Keys for obvious reasons. Map and GPS are also a no brainer. I then carry simple tools as some suggested for the bike. Tools to tighten most bolts. I then carry a few extra bolts incase one comes off. Plug and plug wrench are a necessity. I carry a roll of surveyers tape too, this works great if I need to designate a route or location for any reason. The last major item that I carry is my .357. I carry it obviously for protection purposes. But it is also fun to have shooting contests with your riding buddies when you are taking breaks.

I usually bring a 3 liter camleback filled with goodies. I carry snacks and other food goodies for when we are taking a break on the trail. I also bring a map, gps, batteries for gps, truck keys, cell phone and wallet. Cell phone is incase I need to make any emergency calls. Yes, I know that most places won't have coverage, but you will be surprised at how many places do have coverage. I bring my wallet incase we ride into civilization and decide to go get something to eat. Keys for obvious reasons. Map and GPS are also a no brainer. I then carry simple tools as some suggested for the bike. Tools to tighten most bolts. I then carry a few extra bolts incase one comes off. Plug and plug wrench are a necessity. I carry a roll of surveyers tape too, this works great if I need to designate a route or location for any reason. The last major item that I carry is my .357. I carry it obviously for protection purposes. But it is also fun to have shooting contests with your riding buddies when you are taking breaks.

Do you pull a fickin cart?

I go on all day trail rides with nothing but water. But I trust my bike, and my abilities. I've never had a mechanical failure, and I've been riding trails for over 10 years. I guess it all comes down to how you care for your bike.

It is better to be prepared properly and carry what ever tools you may require out on the trail like tyre levers and puncher repair kit and all the spanners screw drivers etc that you could possibly require. Setting up your bumbag or "fanny pack" properly you should be able to strip your bike with what you carry. Telephone is a must for emergencies or if you get seperated from your mates, camel back (the more water the better) and some cash.

A tow rope is also in order at times as someone else may break down. Yeh its heavy but really you don't notice it after a while.

I also carry all of the above. I have had a reason to use everything mentioned at some time. I carry 8,10,12 mm wrenches, Pliers, Screwdrivers (philips and flat head), allen wrench set, patch kit with CO2, 100 oz water, powerbars, tape, safety wire, a knife, lighter, 3' of fuel line, master link, a few assorted length/sizes bolts, spark plugs (one for 2 stroke, one for 4 stroke)......

It all fits into my camelback, or tool pouch. The last time I needed to use the pack was actually after a ride. One of the guys locked his keys inside his car. Some tape, a little safety wire, and a widdled stick later.......voila... door open.

Shit Happens when you ride....... One day you may get lost or separated from your group and run out of gas..... thanks for carrying a lighter.... and food...

Once during a race, I stretched the chain so far it doubled up around the front sprocket in a sand wash. Once I got the chain off the master link got lost in the sand wash...... I ALWAYS carry a spare.

I go on all day trail rides with nothing but water. But I trust my bike, and my abilities. I've never had a mechanical failure, and I've been riding trails for over 10 years. I guess it all comes down to how you care for your bike.

I will pay money to see that photo ? I would also agree that I pack water maybe a camera I to trust my equipment

That's funny stuff :ride:

Anyway...I'll be doing about 30 miles of trails but there are multiple trail heads that are all near my truck. Here's what I'm thinking:

In the truck: Spare tube, changing tools, ratchet set, screw drivers, gas, water, food, chain lube.

In my backpack: Food, water, phone, keys, ID, plug, plug tool, zip ties and camera.

I think that should do it...I'm ready to do some riding! ?

I have zip-ties under my handlebar pad and I keep a screw driver so I can adjust the clickers in my jeans pocket. That's one of the benefits of a DRZ. Noy many tools are needed. I keep water/food in the car. I would carry water/food for 5+ hours if I was cycling or hiking, but riding is not as much of a work out. ?

I carry zip-ties, a double headed scredriver, 8,10, and 12mm sockets and a small crescent wrench, TOILET PAPER, my Thor Radiator water pack, ID, some cash, and my camera. On a long ride, Military MRE's rock for high calorie food that takes up little space, they come with their own heater and are about the size of a paperback book.

I used to mess around with fanny packs, back packs, the list goes on and on, but could never get comfortable with all the weight and the chest protector fighting each other. I found that a Moose handlebar pack keeps it all tucked away nicely and out of my way. The top right is what I have- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=223

Between me and the Mrs we can carry what we would need in case of an emergency-Why each carry a set of tools or sparkplug wrenches? Since we are always together, we split the necessary items to keep the individual weight down.

I bring a leatherman, 8 10 12mm sockets and small T wrench, plug wrench, screwdriver, a few misc metric bolts, a few various size zip ties, mini crescent wrench, a 10/12 mm combo open end wrench, a couple master links, a couple extra plugs, and about $20 cash. This all goes into a ballistic small rear fender bag.

I also bring a moose camelback with water, a couple snacks, and a pint of 2-stroke oil if it is a trail where we will hit a gas station.

If I need more tools/supplies than this, then I figure the repair is too big to take care of on the trail.

You may want to consider buying a KTM tool kit on ebay. its a pretty small kit with several multi function tools. THe dealer claimed I could disassemble 90% of the bike with the kit. Most of the tools I listed came in the tool kit.