Sign in to follow this  

Tightening down clamps for new handlebars

Hello!

I bought some renthal CR bend handlebars for my DRZ400s. It looks like I will need to file the top clamps a tad to get that gap when tightened.

My question is around how much to tighten. Obvioulsly nice and snug but do i need to get all precise with a torque wrench or just make sure they are on there nice and tight?

thanks all

try installing them tight but not too tight without filing anything. There doesnt have to be a specific gap as long as the bars dont move. Torque?-maybe 8lbs, I wouldnt use any more than that. Most bolts that size into aluminum will take 10-15lbs but bar bolts get used more than most.

Handlebar clamps have a gap only at the rear. Look at the clamp. One side is longer than the other. That goes to the front. Fully tighten that bolt first. Then tighten the rear bolt securely. There should still be some gap at the rear. Torque, tight by feel. 10 to 12 ft lb if you use a correctly sized torque wrench.

Never heard of anyone having to file the clamps...on any bike? I'd swear my MX bike clamps were all symetricral, but Noble may be right...check it out...

Considering most people over tighten everything and the manual is written by (well) idiots and there is no mention of thread lubricant which can change applied tension by 100%, tighten by experienced feel is really best. When using a properly sized torque wrench (50% to 90% of scale) I still advise to go low on the torque. 12 foot pounds on 8mm bolts is plenty for bar clamps. 16.5 ft lb is correct per the manual but the manual does not give all the info to do it right. The only place the manual gets it right is the head bolts where it tells you to use oil on the threads and washer surfaces.

Noble is correct about the gap at the rear and the procedure to install bars.

Also listen to him about the torque specs on the bar clamps, you can easily strip these out.

Noble is correct about the gap at the rear and the procedure to install bars.

Also listen to him about the torque specs on the bar clamps, you can easily strip these out.

I fitted tapered bars with Alpha mounts a while ago, these tightened down with a gap back and front. First time I've seen that so I left them about 1/2 tight and tried to yank the bars around, couldn't do it so I tightened them up fully and went riding. Seem to work OK so far.