Sign in to follow this  

Florida Riders

I am posting this in hopes of getting more info on a rider who died from a mid-air collision at a Track in the Florida area. The track at which the accident occurred I do not know. The riders name is Robert Moody, He is from Palatka, FL area and rode a Yamaha with the #40 on it. Last I knew he was racing the +25 class and one other class that I am not quite sure of. I just received word of his death yesterday evening from a fellow ThumperTalk member who is far away as am I and all we know is that the accident happened 2 Sundays ago, Aug 13 at a race in or very close to FL. I have found the Obituary in the Palatka Daily News and all it reads is.

Robert M. Moody

Robert M. Moody, 28, of Palatka, died Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2006, of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.

My reasoning for post this is I am just trying to find someone else who maybe closer to where this happened at to shed some more light on what happened and how things occurred. Myself I am 800 miles away in MD and my friend Anthony who also knows of his death is a few thousands miles away in HI and all we know is that our Very good friend and fellow rider and ThumperTalk member(HawaiiRob) died from Racing Motocross in a Mid-Air Collision on Aug 13 at a track in FL. If anyone knows of any more details or does hear of something would you please PM me here on ThumperTalk or reply to this thread. Thank you, Michael Rounds

Michael,

I'm so sorry to here about the loss of your friend and fellow TT'er. Its a truly sad day indeed.

The track was Waldo MX in Waldo, FL. There was a minor discussion about him and another gal a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link to that thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405653

A couple guys in that thread were there that day. Maybe they have more details and will post up soon.

Again, I'm sorry to hear such bad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Cal

its a bad deal for sure. A few of my buddies knew him pretty well, one was in the +25 class that day. Its a terrible tradegy for sure.

Try this:

www.floridatrailriders.org

theres a thread going in the forums about it.

Michael,

The track was Waldo MX (Waldo, FL) and 2 weeks before the FTR race event a 13 yr old boy lost his life too. The accident happened coming out of what is referred to as the Daytona berm and then there is a tabletop right after that and that is where the collision occured. There was another accident at that same location during practice moto's and a promising girl rider broke her femur. I'm sorry you lost a friend and there is more info on the FTR website as posted above.

Don

DonO, I was curious about this too. So he collided with another rider? It seems so rare to that serious of a head injury in MX? Or is just my imagination? Real sorry to hear that he passed this week.

HWAP,

I don't know if they hit in mid-air or it was a landing crash I just know that is the spot where it occured.

Don

This is a e-mail I got from a rider that was racing that class with robert.

Here is what I know about what happened. It was the second +25 moto (a

class we race together) it was the same as always, we sat on the line

all the guys joking around. Robert made a comment about how everyone

should take it easy because he was on a 125 and everybody else was on

450. I joked back to him saying "hey man I am trying to make it easier I

am riding a 2-stroke this year" He laughed and said "yea thanks it

will be real fair". The 2 minute card came up he gave me and a few other

guys a thumb up's then we waited for the gate to drop. Once the gate

dropped we came through the first turn, I was in about 3rd ( I think

Robert was in about 5 or 6th). As we came through the second turn I went

wide to pass a rider, I came up beside him and I had to let off the gas

so we would not hit in the air ( since I let off I could not jump the

table top). The rider behind me turned at the last minute not to land

on me, when he did that Robert was already in the air, Roberts front

wheel hit the back of the other riders swing arm. When that happened he

just fell away from his bike and hit the ground. This was not a big

table top (about 40-50ft) it was just on of those deals, so many things

could have happened different. After that the race was red flagged and

we sat on the line for about 45 minutes waiting and praying that Robert

would be ok. He was air lifted to a nearby hospital,

Hope this helps explain things a little better, It did help me understand what happened to a very good and dear friend of mine

Wow...thats terrible news. When I last talked to one of the neurosurgery residents on the team she said he was improving and should do okay. Prayers go out to the family...

Sad news. He sounds like a special person that will be missed by all who knew him.

I'm curious to know what kind of helmet he wore. Does anyone know?