Sign in to follow this  

Another Thumper Talk Member Death From Racing

I am posting this in hopes of getting more info on a rider who died from a mid-air collision at a Track in the Florida area. The track at which the accident occurred I do not know. The riders name is Robert Moody, He is from Palatka, FL area and rode a Yamaha with the #40 on it. Last I knew he was racing the +25 class and one other class that I am not quite sure of. I just received word of his death yesterday evening from a fellow ThumperTalk member who is far away as am I and all we know is that the accident happened 2 Sundays ago, Aug 13 at a race in or very close to FL. I have found the Obituary in the Palatka Daily News and all it reads is.

Robert M. Moody

Robert M. Moody, 28, of Palatka, died Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2006, of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.

My reasoning for post this is I am just trying to find someone else who maybe closer to where this happened at to shed some more light on what happened and how things occurred. Myself I am 800 miles away in MD and my friend Anthony who also knows of his death is a few thousands miles away in HI and all we know is that our Very good friend and fellow rider and ThumperTalk member(HawaiiRob) died from Racing Motocross in a Mid-Air Collision on Aug 13 at a track in FL. If anyone knows of any more details or does hear of something would you please PM me here on ThumperTalk or reply to this thread. Thank you, Michael Rounds

Robert - R.I.P. brother, Godspeed to you.

To all of his friends and family, my condolensces on your loss. May you find strength and comfort to guide you through this time.

My condolences to the family and friends of Deputy Robert Moody.

As a fellow Police Officer and dirt biker I am saddened by this loss.

Godspeed Robert.

I just saw this thread. I was supposed to race that event out at Waldo MX (www.waldomotorsports.com) but I had to work a shift in the ER that day (I am an ER physician). It just so happens that I was on when EMS brought Robert in. A friend was at the race and witnessed the crash. Waldo has a very long start straight...maybe 150yds. This goes into a righthand 90* sweeper with 2 very small table tops after. This takes you to a high banked left hand sweeper and when you come out of that you hit a 30ft table. It is very easy to over jump this jump with the speed you are carrying out the the Daytona sweeper. It appears that Robert and another rider jumped at the same time and they collided in the air. This caused Robert to lose control of his bike and he fell off the side of the jump near the end and landed on his head. He never regained consciousness. He died a few days later in the SICU from increased intracranial pressure. He apparently started to improve and they were working on extubating him when he suddenly took a turn for the worse and died. Very unfortunate event. Scared the crap out of me because that could be any of us. What stinks even worse is that a 16yr old was killed just 3wks prior at the same track but on a different jump. Stay safe out there guys....

Here is a photo gallery of him in action...

http://ftrgallery.us/gallery/robertmoody

I have taken the liberty to add Robert M. Moody to a "list" that needs no new members. Robert's name will be ready every year at the Garrett Berg Remembering Those Who Rode Memorial Race in Splendora, Texas. This event is held on the 1st weekend in October every year.

If I may be of any assistance to Robert's family - please let me know.

My Condolences,

Mike Berg

"Motodad393"

Mr Berg,

I will get you the name and info of the young man that died a few weeks before Robert. He was the same age as Garrett.

Mr Berg,

I will get you the name and info of the young man that died a few weeks before Robert. He was the same age as Garrett.

Dave,

OK - I sure wish this list would not grow so darn fast. I will do the same for his memory. If you can get me the contact information for his parents. I would be willing to help them and let them know they are not alone.

Sincerely,

Mike Berg

"Motodad393"