Sign in to follow this  

Is this enough clearance?

Just installed the IMS tank and it was a pice of cake. All in all it took about an hour. The problem is when everything was lined up and tightened down it sucked the already close clearance between the radiator and the header even closer. It issint rubbing the header but it is close. I can just get a credit card in between. Is this enough clearance or will my header melt the radiator?

http://benddualsport.com/Pictures/STP60135.JPG

thats a lil too close for comfort for me. no way you can do any modification to expand the tolerance any?

Aspencop is correct, but loosen the mid pipe clamp as well as the header and push down on the pipe, then get yourself some header wrap. I have had the same header wrap on my pipe since 2001. :thumbsup:

I'd try to loosen the header bolts and re-align the header some...... :thumbsup:

Thats what I'm going to do and also slap some reflective heat tape on the rad. Just got back from a small 40 mile off road trip and all looked well. The small ammount of clearance is still there and although the fan came on more it didnt seem excessive. Also, I dont know why people seem to hate IMS tanks. Mine was mostly hastle free and it looks allot better than a clarke :ride:

Loosen it just enough to allow you to pry it into postion. Then tighten it down. I've had good luck with this in the past. Don't loosen too much or you won't be able to tighten in down before it goes back into being too close.

I have a full Yosh RS3 and an IMS. All fit good but I left all the pipe bolts loose and starting at the header pried the pipe so I had the most clearance and holding it tightened the header bolts up and then just continued back doing the same thing all the way to the silencer clamp bolt. I am more concerned about how close the pipe is to the rear shock reservoir. IMS tank fit good. I have one on my YZF & had one on my DR350S never a problem with any. I have known people with Clarke who have had leak.

Mine is pretty close...It's hard to tell in your pic if yours is closer than mine. Regardless, I've never had any probs (overheating, radiator leaks, etc).

Late,

Dan

Linco,

Question on Header Wrap...

Does header wrap get all dirty looking and stuff after a while from water, mud, etc. or does it stay looking pretty decent?...I never wrapped mine because I thought it would need re-wrapping from time to time and the cost of the wrap is pretty high if you are going to have to re-wrap...Never actually seen the stuff on anybody's bike so

no idea how well it stands up...

Only the Clarke people do...Or those that think any aftermarket mod is supposed to bolt on with no need for any type of further adjustments...Plenty of people running the IMS 3.2 and 4.0...

Also, I dont know why people seem to hate IMS tanks. Mine was mostly hastle free and it looks allot better than a clarke :thumbsup:

Also, I dont know why people seem to hate IMS tanks. Mine was mostly hastle free and it looks allot better than a clarke :applause:

The title of your post and your picture of the sitaution would be two valid reasons.

No of course that's not enough clearance. A credit card size space between your radiator which dispates heat and your header which produces heat!?!? :thumbsup::ride::applause:

no. i pushed pulled and pryed, the rad is just too flexible.

Do anything you can to keep bending stresses off the radiator. Aluminum does not like stress.

The title of your post and your picture of the sitaution would be two valid reasons.

No of course that's not enough clearance. A credit card size space between your radiator which dispates heat and your header which produces heat!?!? :thumbsup::ride::applause:

And easialy fixable. You have a clarke dont you? :applause:

Linco,

Question on Header Wrap...

Does header wrap get all dirty looking and stuff after a while from water, mud, etc. or does it stay looking pretty decent?...I never wrapped mine because I thought it would need re-wrapping from time to time and the cost of the wrap is pretty high if you are going to have to re-wrap...Never actually seen the stuff on anybody's bike so

no idea how well it stands up...

I run header wrap on the tengai and have for many years. It still looks good but mind you I don't do much "mudding" on that bike (there is a reason for the klx

:thumbsup: ).