Sign in to follow this  

A new valve question - need an expert

So I have a 2005 CRF250. It has 80 hours on it, just turned. The valves have been very good for the most part. I check them at least every 15 hours and the only one that ever really changed was the right exhaust valve which tightened up. At 75 hours, the right intake went to 0 clearance. I shimmed it, and the right exhaust one again. Now at 80 hours the bike won't start.

I pulled it apart and again the right intake is at 0 clearance. I shimmed that one up to spec, but I know that I will need new valves soon. And now for the question:

On the right exhaust valve, I can't even get the .011 feeler between the cam fork and the spring retainer. I have to put a shim in that is less than that gap to get the gague in, and I can't measure it properly because the gague drags on the spring retainer. I can't put a thinner shim in, but then the gap is too big. It actually looks like the fork is uneven or something.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Oh, yeah, and what valves do you recommend? LOL, JK, I'll read up on that in other posts.

Thanks

Aaron

just curiously you said that you replaced the r. exhaust when it tightened, then five hours later it did it again. Did you put a new spring in and have the valve seat cut? I think your only supposed to do valves all at once. I recommend ferrea valves. contact RHC on here or go to ronhampcycles.com . Hes got what you need

You need to check the exhaust valves from the side with a bent tip feeler gauge to get an accurate reading.

As far as valve replacement be sure to get the seats cut and replace the springs at the same time. I've had good luck with the OEM valves myself.

just curiously you said that you replaced the r. exhaust when it tightened, then five hours later it did it again. Did you put a new spring in and have the valve seat cut? I think your only supposed to do valves all at once. I recommend ferrea valves. contact RHC on here or go to ronhampcycles.com . Hes got what you need

Maybe I worded that poorly. I haven't replaced any valves yet although it's obviously time. I've only shimmed so far.

if you are getting zero clearance, you need valves before you ride that thing again

i have an 2005

now with an 06 head ported, web cam, 13.5 piston, new valves, springs,

ect.

this bike rips great power from down low to over rev

thanks ron hamp

this is the perfect vet moto machine

i have an 2005

now with an 06 head ported, web cam, 13.5 piston, new valves, springs,

ect.

this bike rips great power from down low to over rev

thanks ron hamp

this is the perfect vet moto machine

yeah so this has nothing to do with the thread.. other then the fact you love ron :ride: .. hhaha, im just playing around

well 80 hours is time to upgrade to some high performance parts :thumbsup: