Sign in to follow this  

transmission ratio differences

Okay..most can agree the 01 cylinder is the best year for the "2nd gen" (i guess?) motor..but what i'd like to know is, are there any differences between the transmission gear ratios between 1992 and 2001? If there is (im guessing 2nd and 3rd gear(s) have been changed if anything) what years would be the best?

I was expecting kuritaro to kick in here.... I can't speak to the pre '00 bikes, but according to the manuals, the '00 - '04 bikes all have the same transmission and transfer ratios. Seems logical that the '92 - '00's have the same, but that's conjecture.

sorry, i was on the road for the last 2 days...i have a bunch of older parts manuals...let me do some checking for you... :thumbsup:

for the 97-99 bikes, everything was the same as far as the gear ratio goes. the only difference is the main shaft pn#23210-KZ3-J10 on the 99...the other years ran a main shaft with a pn#23210-KZ3-700...other than that, they are identical...i haven't checked further back in years, but, for what its worth, I'm running a 93 complete transmission in my 01 right now... i shelled a few of the engagement dogs on third gear, and the only spare i had was from a 93, and its works flawlessly... :thumbsup:

word:thumbsup: thanks..im going to be shelling out the $$ relatively soon for a motor and i was just wondering if any years might be better or worse, anyone want a case-reed paper weight? haha..

One more thing that may affect your decision. Eric Gorr states that a flaw with the '92 - '96 is broken cylinders and suggests using a '99 cylinder on those models. I've never seen it, but maybe Kuritaro has more info......

One more thing that may affect your decision. Eric Gorr states that a flaw with the '92 - '96 is broken cylinders and suggests using a '99 cylinder on those models. I've never seen it, but maybe Kuritaro has more info......

i think that he is talking about the exhaust side cracking. i dont think it was an inherent problem with the cylinders, but that it was caused by people running a set of rings too long, and allowing the piston to rock in the walls and eventually crack the cyl. itself. on the later models, the exhaust port got gradually smaller, so there was more material ther to prevent a crack. i have never seen one that just cracked on its own, but i have seen a huge amount of cracked swingarms on 92-96 cr250's that werent mentioned in his book.... :thumbsup:

my friend had a 94 cr250 with a cracked exhaust bridge..i remember when i had the cylinder on my kx80 replated because of the gouge in the cylinder, the company i sent it to wanted more money to repair a cracked exhaust bridge