Sign in to follow this  

230 hand grip question

On the right (throttle) side of my 230, I noticed the hand grip was feeling loose. Not really "sliding"....just feeling loose, like if I pull up and down on the hand grip slightly there seems to be a slight knocking beetween the bar and the throttle tube (like there's a gap between them). Its not a 'freeplay' issue with the throttle either. I dont have any aftermarket grips, still stock.

Anyone know how to fix or tighten up the grip so it wont feel so loose?

Thanks.

Well that sucks considering the bike ('07) is like 2 weeks old. Only rode it once.

are you talking about the throttle tube itself? if so is it alot of up and down movement, or a slight amount? the tube should be able to move slightly, this way in the event that you crash or fall the tube wont crack

It could be the throttle tube. But in any case, the movement up and down is very slight. But I noticed it started moving after I broke in the bike, whereas there was no movement the day I got it from the lot. I guess a little movement is normal...im hoping, lol.

The screws that hold the throttle assembly to the handlebars probably vibrated loose. Just tighten them, but not to much or else the throttle will stick...

Well the best way I can describe it is there feels like there is a gap between the throttle tube and the handle bars and its causing it to wiggle a little. The grips are fine and the throttle is screwed to the bars nice and tight. But there is still movement between the tube and the bar.

Any other suggestions?

Well the best way I can describe it is there feels like there is a gap between the throttle tube and the handle bars and its causing it to wiggle a little. The grips are fine and the throttle is screwed to the bars nice and tight. But there is still movement between the tube and the bar.

Any other suggestions?

yeah i wouldnt worry about it, if you have the tube all the way against the bars one of two things can happen.. it can stick open because it cant move freely, or if you fall its going to crack.... but the tube should wiggle a bit

I recommend glue and safety wire your grips. I do it on all of the families bikes and it works great.

You can wear a pair of grip out in a very hard day of riding.

Try some new grip and glue and safety wire and you should be good for a while.

Paul

jpm701 - oddly enough today I was talking to someone about this very issue. Well known person in his part of the bike world (different brand) and he is fabricating special roller bearing throttle tubes to alleviate the vibration of the throttle tube because of what you are describing.

Don't worry about it and just ride! :thumbsup:

Well thats cool. Yeah ive recently discovered that im not the only one with this problem after talking to other riders face to face this weekend. This has happened to almost all of them and they say its really nothing to worry about. I guess theres ways of getting around it but as for now, im just going to have fun and ride.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup: