Sign in to follow this  

Should I have surgery for my stage 3 separated clavicle?

Dr. Mark,

I know I wrote a lot, but I really want to be informative so you can make the best opinion and, give the best advice to your ability about my situation.

Back-story:

I separated my clavicle on June 24, 2006. I was riding my 250X by my cousin’s house. A buddy and I were on the side of a road and on one particular turn the shoulder of the road turns into a large embankment above the road. We were traveling around 10-15mph when he stopped in front of me during a turn on this embankment. I veered off to the side to avoid hitting him and the only place to go was off the embankment onto the road. Turns out that it was about a 15-foot cliff straight onto pavement. I freaked out and tried to stop before this blind cliff instead of gassing it out. I ended up endowing the bike, and I went over the bars. I hit the pavement dead on with my right shoulder first, and of course I wasn’t wearing my chest protector (effin dumb mistake). It hurt like a bitch and when I first moved my right arm I felt a pop in my shoulder. We went to the emergency room and they ended up telling us what it was and told us that only 10% of the time does someone really need the surgery. They kept me in a sling for a month and then said it would slowly get better.

So:

It has been 2 months now and the bone is sticking up more than it did a month ago, still hurts a bit, and I don’t have complete movement back. I saw the doctor again today and from what I’ve searched through on this forum I should have almost demanded the surgery done in the first place. I’m requesting a second opinion from another doctor who specializes in more sports injuries to see what he says, as well as to writing to you.

Finally:

I would like to hear your opinion on the subject knowing that you do a lot of dirt bike and sport injuries. I have the following X-rays that were taken back on the 23ed of June:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Jimb0_o/shoulder1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Jimb0_o/shoulder2.jpg

So I would like to know your opinion on my injury as well as how long it will take to recover form the surgery. The doctor said that it takes about 2 months to heal. I’m currently a student and she said that I would be out of school for at least a week and 2 weeks if I have to drive myself. She also said that I would be out of work for at least a month and a half. I work as a cashier so I do use my hands a lot, but never really heavy lifting, only frequent movement.

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your opinion.

I looked at the X-rays. Its a grade 5 injury.

When patients come to my clinic, with a grade 5 injury, I typically do a repair.

If you have had this for a long time and are not better, you should come and visit me. Typically, one or before six weeks, you will be riding.

First off thx for the very quick reply. So basically go for it. Also I know that there are 2 types of surgery, one involving a screw, and one involving drilling a hole into your clavicle. I’d assume that the drilling is a better procedure, because then there is no need to take out the screw.

All right, I will take what you say under consideration and from this I will be more informative when talking to the next doctor I’m going to see. But unofficially from what you see with just the x-rays I should get it done.

Anytime you don't need a second operation, you are better off.