Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel alignment

I just put a 12 tooth sprocket on my wr 250. I needed to tighten the chain. I accidentally turned the the axle alignment bolts unequally. So I just used the marks near the axle. Should this be good enough or what should I do to determine if the wheel is strait?

when you have the adjusting bolts tight and the locking nuts tight use a tape measure to measure the length of the bolts and make them the same. this is what i do every time i adjust my chain.

Those marks are on that alignment thing is there for exactly that reason. Just put it on the same mark on each side.

thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure hoew exact those marks are, but everything measures out correct, cant wait to try it with the smaller frount sproket :thumbsup:

thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure hoew exact those marks are, but everything measures out correct, cant wait to try it with the smaller frount sproket :thumbsup:

You were right to ask. Yes, that's what the marks are for. However, as you may have surmised they can be slightly off as they are mass produced. I've seen this on other bikes. If you really want to be sure and you have one of those fancy sag adjustment tools with millimeters you can place the pin into the swingarm pivot bolt hole on each side of the swingarm and measure to the front of the aluminum block with the markings on it. That might reassure you.

Though the tick marks are there for lining up the back wheel, it is always good to double check. To see if you're even in the ballpark, just step a few feet back and see if the chain is straight and all. Then go to the more minute measurements if you've got the time.

I have a 06wr250f, after I adjusted my chain for the first time I looked from the back of the tyre towards the front and it did not seem right, the tyre was turned to the right, checked the alignment with the marks which were ok. So being an ex road racer I string lined the back wheel to the front wheel and found that the right side axle block had to be 3mm forward to correctly align the back wheel, and now when you look at it from the back it even looks right.

Sulux is right. Although the block marks are handy for aligning when very short of time, they are not very accurate, and in my case they where out by a couple of mm's (almost the difference between 2 marks on one side and 3 marks on the other).

If you have the time, align the rear wheel with the front wheel correctly using a string line taken form the front wheel (just make sure the front wheel is pointing dead-ahead). This way you can be sure both wheels are aligned with each other.

What I do is first set it using the marks. Then rotate the tire and watch the chain rolling on and off the rear sprocket. If it appears it is rolling on or off to one side of the sprocket, adjust the wheel accordingly until the chain rolls straight and centered onto and off of the sprocket.

I don't use the alignment marks on the axle blocks. I use a 12' steel measuring tape, I measure from a fixed point on the swingarm (such as where the axle bolt threads into the swingarm) either to the rear or leading edge of the axle block. This technique ensures the rear wheel is properly aligned too.