Big mistake

Well I screwed up and got off my tired old '90 XR 250R and rode my buddys low hour '02 XR 250R, man talk about more low end grunt, and mine is geared 12\48. I also noticed how much more quick\nimble his steering is, especially on the tight Michigan trails we were rideing. Well now I'm wanting a newer XR. Now what do I do?

From my experiences coming off older bikes onto newer ones can be great for you. Ive "spruced up" my older bikes but the newer bikes are much more comfortable to ride. For the amount of money it would cost you to hook up your xr, you could probally sell it and get a much newer one that comes stock with that grunt you like. Bikes are like women, Sometimes its hard to let a loved one go, but a younger one can be loved just as much.

From my experiences coming off older bikes onto newer ones can be great for you. Ive "spruced up" my older bikes but the newer bikes are much more comfortable to ride. For the amount of money it would cost you to hook up your xr, you could probally sell it and get a much newer one that comes stock with that grunt you like. Bikes are like women, Sometimes its hard to let a loved one go, but a younger one can be loved just as much.

This is true, you have to weigh your options. If alot of changes are needed it might not be equitable to spend too much on the Ol' girl.

Great advice, on women and bikes. Who's 280 kit should I go with? This was one of my winter projects this year, and I want to keep the reliability good. What about valves while I'm in there? This has to stay modestly priced as I'm working for a newer XR in the spring.

It seems "modestly priced" is key here. If you are trading up or selling in 6 months or so the most I would do is freshen up the top end (new rings etc.) When you go into the valves etc you will spend more money that might not be recoverable when/if you decide to trade her in.