Sign in to follow this  

Well it happened!!

Took a few weeks but I finally went down on the Z. Was crossing a muddy brook and the Dunlops didn't want to hook up. Well down I went and laughed my butt off as I did it. Have all bike and personal protection in place. No injury to me or the scoot. Damn this bike is fun. At fifty years old I will take all the fun and excitement I can get. You all stay safe out there. I'm trying!

I can still count the times I've crashed my bike, however it's leaving marks! The first time was a higher speed off on a muddy road, bent the bars (still bent!) and this past weekend I dumped it into a hole. Had my bike not been equipped with rad guards I would have lost one, it tore the shroud off.

I don't count low speed stuff like when the bike falls over chopping donuts and whatnot.

You just got started, I'm on the 3rd set of bars, replaced both side covers, repaired 1 rad, straightened the sub frame once, replaced the ripped seat cover, replaced the caved in gas tank, am on the 2nd set of hand guards, and cracked an asterisk knee brace at the hinge. All this on an 02 bought new with 3000 nearly all off road miles.

We're both doin fine and having fun.

Now that you've broken your bike (and you) in you can really start to have some fun. :thumbsup:

Glad you didn't break a hip.

I'm gettin on a bit too (43) but I learned how to fall (and not to) from Trials comp.

The good thing is; the occasional fall will program your brain to be alert and give you better instinct about riding :thumbsup:

Funny, my buddy just had a similar experience. He was riding his XT 350 and for some reason he started riding close to the water. He started to slide put his foot down, and it was 4 feet deep....

He was OK, bike started, after a little work.... Funny as hell. Happened in the first 5 minutes or our ride....

Well it finally happened to me too. I went down on my crf450, broke my coccyx, sacrum, T11, T12, and L1 with a chance fracture at T12. Spent 12 days in the hospital and thousand dollars damage to my bike. I'll spend the next year in rehab and in a clam shell back brace. The pain is unbearable. Be careful. It all started with a simple fall in a river one day. Next thing you know I'm flying through the air at 40 mph and fall off the back of my bike and land in the emergency room with a broken back. Seriously, I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

My Favorite fall was with a large group on the Piutes, after stopping for a break I tell everyone to follow me and I go about 20 feet hit a slick spot, back end went flying around and down I went, and I hit the ground hard!

I wasn't going that fast but smacked my knee big time and the palm of my hand (of all places), hurt for months. I've had plenty of regular get-off's but that one was a doozie. I now have every pad known to man.

Remember, you'll never do anything as stupid as right after saying "Watch this".

I'm up to three... but sadly my bike is at 6. [never loan your bike to 'friends']

Not bad for just over a year and 5k miles. [many of which were on deathwings]

Three?!?!?! Hell, I fall over that many times if not more every time I hit the trails :thumbsup:

Three?!?!?! Hell, I fall over that many times if not more every time I hit the trails :thumbsup:

No kidding ... it seems that if I'm not crashin', I'm not riding hard enough! Here's one of my more memorable dismounts from the last time I rode - http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jmasters/images/whoops.jpg - man, getting that thing back up the hill was a royal pain in the a$$!

Also, here's a video that has a couple of baby crashes in it - it's a compilation made from a few days of riding here in Hawaii. There's even a DRZ-SM in there getting dirty! http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jmasters/images/compilation.wmv