Sign in to follow this  

xl 175

on a recent ride we took out our old xl 175.while idle it just died and seemed to seize up but 15 minutes later it ran and same thing again, but this time it wouldnt kick over at all. is there any hope for this bike now?

Did it feel like the kickstart gears just weren't engaging right when you tried to start it or did it feel like they just weren't moving the piston? What happens when you try to bump start it?

Right now I'm thinking either some broken or jammed kickstarter gears or a possible oil blockage that is preventing oil from getting out of the cases. Have you drained the oil yet? Were there any metal shavings or large chunks? If not, I suggest opening up the head to see what you find. I don't know the procedure to see if an XL is getting oil up to the head but I'm sure a manual would say. You can see if anything looks scorched or otherwise damaged while you are in there too.

the is 200 miles away right now so i cant drain the oil. when i try to roll start it the wheel wont turn. i think itssiezed but im just confused because it did the same thing but started five minutes later

Okay, I think that narrows it down to just about 2 things:

1. Something shattered, and is jamming up the movement of the piston

2. Oil cannot get to the head, due to some type of blockage. (less likely)

I too keep most of my bikes about 200 miles away. Do what I do when one of them has motor problems. Just unbolt the whole motor, put it in a box, and leave the roller. When you get home, you can open it up, inspect it, and rebuild it right.

I think #1 is most likely the problem because whatever shattered could have jammed the motor temporarily, then fallen out of place, only to be stirred up again the next time it started.