Sign in to follow this  

What does your DR sound like?

Maybe this belongs in the Pictures & Videos forum, but I'll ask here since I'm interested in DRs. What does a DR sound like? Post links for wav/mp3/wmv if you have them. On a side note, why are 4 strokes called thumpers?

I'm just curious what my neighbors are going to think as I cruise through the neighborhood, whether I'll wake up my family coming home late, etc.

Four stroke singles are called thumpers because you feel and hear each distinctive power stroke from 10 to 60 thumps per second. CBR 600 = 500 power strokes per second EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

The stock pipe will not bother your neighbors. It is stealthy quiet. Most aftermarket pipes are too noisy and will leave your neighbors wondering "what hillbilly moron is that?" :thumbsup:

I am getting a drz400 Supermoto this week, and putting on a Yosh. or Big Gun, Kaboooom!!!!! There's goes the neighborhood! I'm used to 4 stroke mx bikes and want some thunder from down under. :thumbsup:

Loud pipes are tiresome for me

I just took my Supertrapp off and put the stocker back on.

Runs just as good and is a helluva lot quieter

Loud pipes are tiresome for me

I just took my Supertrapp off and put the stocker back on.

Runs just as good and is a helluva lot quieter

Yeah, the DR stock is really good. But of course it is much heavier than aftermarket silencers, and you do get it quiet, actually a bit too quiet. Something in between my GPS Oval Titan and the stock would be nice...

/K

Maybe this belongs in the Pictures & Videos forum, but I'll ask here since I'm interested in DRs. What does a DR sound like? Post links for wav/mp3/wmv if you have them. On a side note, why are 4 strokes called thumpers?

I think the stock dr is quite tame-sounding. It should not wake the neighbors unless you cowboy it.

Straight fours make "eeeeeeeeee" sounds.

V-twins make "potato potato" sounds.

Singles make "thump thump thump" sounds.

Examples of dr650 sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7w5Ohg-N30

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dr650

Straight fours make "eeeeeeeeee" sounds.

V-twins make "potato potato" sounds.

Singles make "thump thump thump" sounds.

Potato potato? What an incredibly accurate way to describe a V-twin. I love it. :thumbsup:

Flea

Thump thump thump Braap Braap Braap Braap Braaaaaap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa. Thanks for the links folks. This thing sounds like a toy when its wound up! Is it just in the videos? Maybe I should be thinking about a bigger bike...

Nice video but what's with the sportbikes? I'm sorry but as much as I love my DR I know it's no match for sportbikes on a track of that sort. At least not unless you went out with the newbie crew that was having their first track ride. Was the guy close by just riding shotgun? what about the guy you caught up to? What's HIS excuse.

Still, this isn't intended to belittle your own efforts. It looks like you're riding the socks of the DR. It's just that reality suggests that there's something amiss here... :thumbsup:

Whoa. Thanks for the links folks. This thing sounds like a toy when its wound up! Is it just in the videos? Maybe I should be thinking about a bigger bike...

That's pretty close to what it's like with a stock system.

But when they start to sound more tough then they get really, really loud.

Anybody have Dyno's for this? I have been debating on going back to the stock pipe. I commute daily thru a lot of country roads with houses at the intersections. I usually don't hammer it when I am near houses. I have the supertrapp with 7 discs in it. I could lose the sound but would hate to lose any power and would switch back if I did. But then again if it was quieter I could ride harder and not feel bad

I know the whole mod thing was a progression for me and the pipe was #2 mod a couple months after the dyno kit. Each mod helped and the entire effort did amazing things, but I wonder what it would be like fully modded but tuned to the stock pipe? Anyone try the stock pipe after the header weld grind?

also to DR Motard - the bike sounds much better with the music added, that song still pops into my head in twisties!

I have a '91 with a full Big Gun system. When I first got it, it was waaayyy too loud. I hated driving it on the street and really hated it in the woods. Last month, I called and got the quiet core insert and love it. It's very quiet at idle but when it's opened up, it's a deep growl. I lost maybe 1 hp by putting it on but the benefits outweigh the loss of 1 hp. Now, there is less of a chance of offending nearby homeowners of the land that I ride on which insures many years of land use.

Mike

Nice video but what's with the sportbikes? I'm sorry but as much as I love my DR I know it's no match for sportbikes on a track of that sort. At least not unless you went out with the newbie crew that was having their first track ride. Was the guy close by just riding shotgun? what about the guy you caught up to? What's HIS excuse.

Still, this isn't intended to belittle your own efforts. It looks like you're riding the socks of the DR. It's just that reality suggests that there's something amiss here... :ride:

That was actually the A group out at Buttonwillow. The guy on the R1 was riding around with me. As for the guy I caught up to, it was the last session of the day. Its possible that he had just slowed down. :thumbsup:

That's pretty close to what it's like with a stock system.

But when they start to sound more tough then they get really, really loud.

:thumbsup:

My exhaust bracket broke the day before at Streets of Willow, so I was running the DR without an exhaust can. It was loud.

P1010004.jpg

also to DR Motard - the bike sounds much better with the music added, that song still pops into my head in twisties!

I agree, it is nice to have some music. I just wanted to give people a feel for how the DR was running.

:ride:

My exhaust bracket broke the day before at Streets of Willow, so I was running the DR without an exhaust can. It was loud.

P1010004.jpg

Is that also why there wasn't any decell pop? Nice riding by the way. :thumbsup: