Sign in to follow this  

Hot Husky

I just got a Husky 610 SM and a Leo Vinci exhaust. It's melted my Alpinestars all the way through, and a pair of good hiking boots. After 130 mi. it completely melted the left rear turn signal. Anyone else expierence this? The composite heat gaurd stops 3 inches shy of where it needs to be. any ideas?

I just ordered this bike but have not heard of this problem. You might wanna ask about it over at supermotojunkie.com. I'd be interested to know if it's a common problem.

Yeah I just got back into town and see no one has responded. The dealer was cool and sent me a different signal light thyats closer to the fender. We'll see I doubt it'll hold up. Looks like it'll need some shuttle heat sheild. The pipes loud but makes the bike have just enough power to pull third gear wheelies.

But anyways I guess I'll try n use some kind of exhaust tape. I dont know. But if I were you I'd go with another pipe. I had the dealer put it on before I got the bike from seeing it in pictures on this sight. I ride really hard and the whole bike seems to run hot.

My local Husky dealer has seen the melting turn signal syndrome on every 610 he's sold. And apparently it's common unless you ride like a granny. Husky messed up on this one big time. It needs to use different signals or perhaps have a sheet aluminium heat shield made up for it.

Header tape will cure the melting shoe issue. A double layer over that area will work great. Dip it in water before you wrap it and it'll lay on like a coat of paint.

From what I understand about this bike now and others in general, an excessively hot pipe can be a sign of a leaned out engine which makes sense on any EPA legal carburated bike. Try richening up your jetting. I'm going with a 180 main and a 45 pilot based on this rather lengthy thread from speedzilla. If you've got a couple spare hours it's worth reading to know your Husky well. Hope this helps.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9436

The pipes on my 510 are a rather thin wall of stainless tubing. I've got it jetted so the plug is showing a nice light brown but the pipes still are stinking hot. If a boot was to touch it then it would still melt almost instantly. So that means the header wrap trick or some aftermarket or custom heatshield mod or addition.

Turn signals... You may find info here, the dirt guys are more concerned about ripping them off as opposed to melting, but I think it would help your problem. Look for my post on that page and let me know if it helps.

The Leo system didn't put enough pipe guard going far enough back like the stocker is.

This added would help. They make a 6 inch and a 8 inch. Better than header wrap. As far as the melting turn signal, yep, bad design. I have just the LEO slip on and it does not get close to the turn signal like the stock can does, so issue for me.

http://www.elineaccessories.com/shop/Details.asp?ProdID=452&category=0

Thanks all of you guys. It's already rejetted and de smogged. Im gonna try a stubbie turn signal anf some heat wrap since it looks as though I'd need to drillanother hole in the pipe to fit a longer guard.

Do any of you have a problem with the high beam shinning into the sky and not the road. riding fast in the pitch dark is scary as hell.

I just went out to the garage and heard some racket comin from the area around the steering head and assumed it was the wires. On closer inspection I noticed that it was the horn speaker just hangin loose an ratteling around in there. Is there anything I need to be aware of or check on specifically? I just got this thing and already it's one thing after another.

Is there anything I need to be aware of or check on specifically? I just got this thing and already it's one thing after another.

The day I rode mine home, new from the shop, the top motor mount bolt fell out as I pulled it into my garage. Apparently the factory doesn't understand torque. Also the thread lock they use is pretty worthless. I was kinda discouraged at first but decided to just break it all down and check everything.

I spent the entire afternoon yesterday and tore the bike down to just the engine, suspension and wheels. It's not really that hard plus it gave me a chance to really get to know the new bike like I do one of my YZ's. I tightened everything from the clutch cover bolts to the engine mounts to the plastics. I used red loc-tite where nessesary.

I also re-routed all the vent hoses and wiring because thier engineering in this department left a little to be desired too. They also had hardly a single zip-tie on the bike, now there's dozens. I re-positioned the headlight once it was dark it's right where it should be now.

I took it out last night for a spin with all these changes plus new jetting and fuel settings and couldn't believe the difference. I love this bike now, it definately rocks! :thumbsup: