Sign in to follow this  

Rectifier Temp

Is the rectifier supposed to get warm/hot? After 5 min of running it is about the same temp as the engine case? Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

Battery and charge seem fine.

O3 S

Yes.. it will get quite hot.. The less power the bike uses.. the more energy the rectifier must absorb

I was buggering w/my fuel screw back before I got the extended one, using a broken off screwdriver blade. I thought my hand felt a bit hot against the rectifier.. got some real nice 1st or 2nd degree burns! Took quite a while though. Duhhhhhh hooooottttt....

For those that haven't noticed it is a heat sink. Electronic components of all sorts are mounted to similar finned devices, to help carry away the heat they develop.

the bike has a stator, it makes more power the higher the rpms go. all the extra electricity has to go somewhere, so the rectifier turns it into heat to get rid of it. I ride with my high beam on all the time to use up some of that extra electricity so the rectifier doesn't have to get rid of it. also I feel it is safer when I'm on the street.

The RR does get hot because of the inefficiency of the rectifier diodes. The RR is not used as a heat sink to dissipate unused alternator power. There are no intended resistive devises in the RR. If diodes were perfect conductors, it would not get hot. It would take a much larger heat sink to dissipate power as heat. The RR shunts un-needed AC to ground before the rectification diodes thru 3 transistors. Running with the lights on HI uses an additional 5 watts. Not enough to make much difference and that is power that goes thru the rectifier diodes which adds to the heat load. The RR gets the hottest when it is producing full alternator output of 200 watts.