Sign in to follow this  

04 Crf250r

1st of all is this a good deal? 3400 for an 04 CRF250R that has been sitting in the garage for 1 1/2 years. Bone stock except for tires. Also are there any major problems with the 04 that I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Future 250 owner

not sure about prices of bikes, but i have had my 04 for 2 1/2 years and it's been pretty good. it has the stock valves and piston. everything engine wise is stock and still runs good. i'm not one of those people who change oil and and air filters every ride either and it still runs good and starts on the 3rd-5th kick everytime. the only thing i'd take a precaution on is the valves, from what i hear all the time they aren't that great on the 04, but again mine is fine. i would just clean the filter and change the oil and oil filter before riding, and new gas.. just my thoughts..

Check your local AMA district website for what bikes are going for. An '04 just turned 3 years old and $3400 seems a bit rich. I paid $2800 for mine this spring in a more used state but the mechanicals were perfect. If he is too proud of the bike to deal, another bike will show up that you will get a better price on. One unknown on a bike that is not used regularly is that humidity and changing temps make for rotten gas, gummy carbs, sticky valve guides, and little rusties on unlubed parts in the tranny, crank bearings and such. YMMV.

In my opinion when motors sit, seals go bad. Because the internals are not spinning often, the part of the gasket or seal that is not submerged in oil becomes dry and cracks. Also moisture can come in affect if the person didnt have an exhaust plug in.

All the stock 04's I've seen here are going for around 35-3700. The one thing I'd worry about buying a used crf250 is that you never know if your buying one that needs a valve job. I know that would suck to buy one and then have to dump a bunch of cash into it.

Are you lookin at that one on craigslist in Monroe?

All the stock 04's I've seen here are going for around 35-3700. The one thing I'd worry about buying a used crf250 is that you never know if your buying one that needs a valve job. I know that would suck to buy one and then have to dump a bunch of cash into it.

Are you lookin at that one on craigslist in Monroe?

No its in lynden out of the Cycle Trader

i just got an 04 crf250 this spring, valves just done, weisico piston, full WB exhuast, extra tires, extra plastics, honda graphics, factory connection suspension, and a few little things here and there. not to mention this bike was showroom clean and vet riden. i paid 3250 for it, he was asking 3500. 3400 for a stock '04 is asking too much.