Sign in to follow this  

07 WR or YZ

ive looked and compared the specs on the 07 WR and the YZ and to me the looked exactly the same exept for the dementions and gear ratios. And its a little heavier b/c of the battey. i was lookin at gettin one of the 2, but i do alot more trail ridin that tracks but ride tracks occasionaly. the wr seems very convenient in the woods but, i dont see why the wr wouldnt do prety good on the tracks exept the weight difference. im leanin toward the wr right now. thanks

No the WR wont do well at the tracks for a lot of reasons. But specially because its a trail bike, a heavy feeling trail bike that is.

Use the SEARCH there have been tons of posts of this subject, but just a week ago there was just one about WR VS YZ for trail riding and ocassional track use. And guess what almost everyone 85% agreed upon the YZ.

suspension and the way the power is used. You need the radical cam of the YZ in mx.

ive looked and compared the specs on the 07 WR and the YZ and to me the looked exactly the same exept for the dementions and gear ratios. And its a little heavier b/c of the battey. i was lookin at gettin one of the 2, but i do alot more trail ridin that tracks but ride tracks occasionaly. the wr seems very convenient in the woods but, i dont see why the wr wouldnt do prety good on the tracks exept the weight difference. im leanin toward the wr right now. thanks

You are wise. Many things can be changed like suspension and sprockets but the the transmission does not seem easy to change to me. If you set the sprockets up for the kind of low speed trail riding you want to do then you can still do the fast stretches without the higher rpms. That is my preference at least.

There is no substitute for a test ride.

Yes but the WR used to not have an aluminum frame, now they do, so it will be alot more light weight.

But the frame also has to be beefier, so I dont know if there is a noticable difference.

You are wise. Many things can be changed like suspension and sprockets but the the transmission does not seem easy to change to me. If you set the sprockets up for the kind of low speed trail riding you want to do then you can still do the fast stretches without the higher rpms. That is my preference at least.

There is no substitute for a test ride.

Exactly my thoughts. I love riding a bike with a wide ratio gearbox. You can keep up with everyone on the really fas stuff, but once it gets tight and rocky, you dont have to slip the clutch too much. All the other stuff like suspension can be easily changed, but it is expensive, and a lot of work to put a WR transmission into a YZ.

There are a LOT of differences between YZ and WR (it's been discussed TONS if you search for the threads) that make a WR better for trails. The only real disadvantage of the WR is the weight, which is significant (a 250WR weighs more than a 450 YZ).

The e-start makes up for the weight in spades in my opinion for trail riding (where you are more likely to stall, and to stall in awkward positions). The tranny is awesome if you do any wide open fire road-type riding (you'll blow away the guys on YZ's on top end). Power is the same once you do the free mods, but the YZ will always have better acceleration (due to the weight diff) but the WR will dust it on top end.

Figure out what kind of riding you like and go from there. Both are awesome bikes!

dont forget about the wr's magic button. that thing is a god send when your on uneven ground. i ride with a friend who uses a yz 450 theres no way he can pull away from me in the woods. (open areas are another story!) its so much fun watching him kick over that bike. as for weight, yes the wr weighs more but spending all day controlling a yz (constantly feathering the clutch and shifting) in the woods is worse.

While I would agree that a wr wouldn't be much good for mx, don't forget that the wr is a completely new model for 07 with a new frame, motor etc. I would not base the decision (too much) on the previous models but wait till reports on the 07 come out :thumbsup:

anyone?

Anyone?!?! Did you see the 9 posts answering your question??? Did you search the other 15,000 posts answering the exact same question???? :thumbsup::applause:

I do the same riding, mostly trails but tracks as well. I would rather have the mx. Gear it down a bit and they are fine in trail. Much better than wr would be on track.

Having owned a WR450, I would also take a look at the KTM 400/450 xc and xc-w models. They might be exactly what you want. CYa Stinson

Along with the estart, another great feature standard on the WR is a kickstand, which is a must on trails where you might stop to look around or something.