Sign in to follow this  

hitch style trailer

I have already done the check on past threads regarding this issue but was wondering if anyone else had purchased a new hitch style trailer? If so are you happy with the model and would you buy it again? I am trailering a DRZ400S so its a bit heavier than a standard dirt bike, I think. I just dont want to look in the rear mirrors and see it bouncing down the road.

Please clarify. Most trailers are hitch style. I think you are asking about hitch mounted carriers, the things that carry a bike sideways behind the vehicle and are supported by the hitch receiver alone.

Depending on the vehicle doing the towing, you may or may not be able to safely haul a 300 pound bike that is cantilevered too far out from the receiver. The tighter the bike tucks in to the rear bumper, the better, and the less effect it will have on a given vehicle.

I use the Add-A-Bike behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee with my 260 lb bike and can't really tell that it's behind me. I've taken it on some twisty mountain roads and never worried about it falling off. The Add-A-Bike doesn't use tie downs, so there is no chance of one coming loose, it uses a hoop over the seat. Plus it has optional tail lights that take care of the bike blocking your vehicle tail lights. I can load the bike in under a minute and off-load it in about about 15 seconds, either front first or back first. Yeah, I really like it. It tucks in tight, weighs about 30 pounds, and is super simple to use.

I have the hitch type bike rack for the DRZ. I bought it off of this site. The sarge industries one, it works well for me and I used it only about a 1/2 dozen times so far. Everthing seems good so far.

I have the Joe Hauler and a DRZ400E and had to do some reinforcement mods as the hauler seemed very flimsy and flexed alot.

Not a reccomended hauler for bikes over 175 lb IMHO.

I have a Versa-Haul dual carrier. I carrier my 250F and my sons 70. I wouldn't use it for a pair of 250F's though.

You can position the rack as close as needed to the receiver on this one. Uses tie-downs, so I end up with 4 per bike. 2 h-bar...1 over the seat... and one on the rear wheel. Works well. I bought the tail-light kit as well. Helps me beleive some bozo won't drive up on it when I'm stopped.