Sign in to follow this  

scotts damper?

Hi,

Has anyone tried; or have, a scotts damper on their bike? For street bikes, steering dampers make a huge difference. Are they sort of over-kill on a dirt bike? Or, do they really make a huge difference in rock sections, and overall stability?

any response is much appreciated thanks,

Matt

Hi,

Has anyone tried; or have, a scotts damper on their bike? For street bikes, steering dampers make a huge difference. Are they sort of over-kill on a dirt bike? Or, do they really make a huge difference in rock sections, and overall stability?

Matt

Hi Matt. I have the Scotts mounted on my TE510. They are not over kill on a dirt bike at all. On the contrary they are probably even more beneficial much more often on a dirt bike. The Husky is a very stable bike to begin with. Adding a steering damper only makes it better. It isn't really the stability or head shake that is the issue. It is wheel deflection when hitting rocks, ruts, roots, and so on at speed. I highly recomend getting one.

:thumbsup:

Paul

Steering dampers are de riguer on off-road bikes and more so on motocross bikes lately. I will be getting one for my WR and SMR. I have seen Scott's on an '06 TE510 but guess many are waiting for the bolt-on kit rather than the weld-on kit currently available. I also saw a damper-upper triple clamp combo from RTT and will call them to see if they do a Husky kit.

The Scotts Damper works awesome on the Husky's,I wouldn't be without one!Here it is on my bike and it is all bolt on.

05 TE 450

Is the bolt on tower clamp one piece or two? In other words, do you have to remove the top triple to get it on? Will this work with the stock 7/8" bars/risers on my '06 TE250? Where did you get it? I looked in the TT store and they say nothing about the bolt on tower.

You got one of those and a Recluse (sp)? Doc cleared me for riding 2 hours ago... :thumbsup:

I have the Scotts, I got it before the motosportz was out or else I would of got it.

When your ready come on up and ride with NAGA and me, I dont have much time to ride before I get cut.

Is the bolt on tower clamp one piece or two? In other words, do you have to remove the top triple to get it on? Will this work with the stock 7/8" bars/risers on my '06 TE250? Where did you get it? I looked in the TT store and they say nothing about the bolt on tower.

www.brpit.com

The tower is a one piece split style clamp.It does require you to remove the top triple clamp which is very easy to do.The forks are still in tacked with the bike.The bar mount is by BRP and they can set you up with the Scotts tower and damper if you like.I recommend ditching the stock bars for some fat ones (1 1/8").You'll like them better!

The Scotts Damper works awesome on the Husky's,I wouldn't be without one!Here it is on my bike and it is all bolt on.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/husky666/barmounts011.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/husky666/barmounts023.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/husky666/barmounts002.jpg

05 TE 450

I noticed that your top triple clamp has been milled. Was it required for installation?

Hi,

Matt

Weld on with Pro Tapers 1 1/8 CR High in a top mount from Scotts. Any decent backyard TIG welder can put this on without fear of hurting anything. Pull the tank and weld away.... Aluminum spray paint afterwards!

I love mine.

Tig Weld damper post for Husky TC and TE 450 (Medium).JPG

Yes,the TE has a different back space for the bar mount than the TC and therefore makes it a little tighter.It doesn't need to be milled,I did that because I can.You can notch the triple clamp with a die grinder or just hit it on a disk sander,That is what the factory started doing on the 06 TC's.

05 TE 450

I just installed a scotts submount kit on my 06 tc250 last night.

It is a beautiful setup, very well machined and finished, and the fit is great. The tolerances are very tight, and it installed on my bike with no modifications necessary. The steering goes all the way to the stops without hitting the post, and the clamp pin mount is very secure.

i had hoped to be able to use the ptenduro mount and force accessory post clamp from my 05 smr 450, but the offsets are different, and they don't work. If anyone is interested in those parts, drop me a line.

I just installed a scotts submount kit on my 06 tc250 last night.

It is a beautiful setup, very well machined and finished, and the fit is great. The tolerances are very tight, and it installed on my bike with no modifications necessary. The steering goes all the way to the stops without hitting the post, and the clamp pin mount is very secure.

i had hoped to be able to use the ptenduro mount and force accessory post clamp from my 05 smr 450, but the offsets are different, and they don't work. If anyone is interested in those parts, drop me a line.

now this is an old thread..... looking back at the old post made me realize those Gold Pro tapers have bent and been replaced months ago by new ones!

You will love the scotts ... try different settings until you find what works best for you in different soil conditions e.g. rock, sand, wet sand, ruts, mx and so on and keep a mental memory or write down what works best for you on different tracks and terrain.

Tim

I had a Scotts in my DRZ and carried over to the Husky. I will have it in any offroad bike I ever own. I think it's a very good tool for offroad riding. I only ride very technical trails and it really helps absorb the irregularities and save your arms. It's really good in rocky sections.

Mine is mounted on a Protech Enduro mount which places the damper under the handlebar.