Sign in to follow this  

68 Yr Old Retiree Needs Some Help on This.

I just turned 68 and I am looking at moving to a different used bike. Previously I rode a highly modified (179#) KAW KZ125 with a KDX200 Engine in it. Then after I retired (1999) and started going west and doing some desert riding, the bike just didn't have the fuel range for the desert. I sold it.

A while later I got a Suzuki DR250 to see if I still wanted to ride. I did, and I still am, but the darn thing is killing me in the dirt. No suspension and no power. I weigh more than I should (260# :thumbsup: and 6'2") but ,I am still having fun. But, doing it kills my knees and as I am getting a little weaker, it is hard to handle in the rough stuff. I do a lot of riding in Arizona, SoCal and NM. Some riding in Michigan. Going up the washes with the other guys is getting too hard on that DR250. It has got to go or I have to quit.

I have a chance to pickup a good used 2002 KTM 400EXC that doesn't have a lot of time on it. I rode it and it performs well, but it definitely needs a SEAT upgrade.

I have been doing research but can't seem to find a nice wide custom seat for any KTM earlier than a 2003. I need something with a little width at the rear and quite a bit more padding than the stock seat.

Anybody know where I can get a better seat for it???

Also, the bikes in pretty good shape, but I don't know what I should be willing to pay for it. Can you give me a price range that would be realistic. What with everything going up in price, I can't afford too much on a fixed income. Are KTM's a high maintenance bike? The DR has been pretty cheap to operate.

I sure will appreciate any and all comments you might have and suggestions you might make. I'm still wanting to ride til I can't do it. :ride:

Regards,

JON TWORK KB8RSA

FULLTIME RVer

(Retired, Unemployed, Homeless, Transients)

www.WERV2.com (under construction)

Find Jon: Via Amateur Radio http://tinyurl.com/jkvq3

Find Jon: Via Satellite www.tinyurl.com/5mtpq

Jon,

the 400EXC would be an excellent bike for you. There are very good after market seats available. You might try contacting Enduro Engineering. Also, Gutts will take your existing seat and add foam to your specifications.

Maintenance of the KTM is slightly more than your KDX or DR250. Mainly it is checking the valves more regularly. The valves on the KTM are pretty simple rocker arm type. No shims under bucket or anything like that. It does require that you remove the tank, move the radiators out of the way so that you can get to the valve covers. There are procedures available for doing this. Basically, you remove the spark plug, find TDC and measure the clearances. If adjustment is needed, you loosen the lock nut at the top, set to spec and tighten. That is the ultra short version. Again, it is nothing too dramatic. These bikes have two oil filters, and two screen filters that need to be replaced and cleaned every other oil change.

On any bike, for your size and weight, it may be necessary to increase the fork and shock spring rates as the stockers will probably be too light for you. It also depends on how agressively you ride.

I'm not sure what an 02 should go for. Hopefully, someone else can give you some help here.

Here is a link for Guts racing ===> http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/seatcvrpg.html

Here is a link to Enduro Engineering ====> http://www.enduroeng.com/

Best Regards,

Paul

I just turned 68 and I am looking at moving to a different used bike. Previously I rode a highly modified (179#) KAW KZ125 with a KDX200 Engine in it. Then after I retired (1999) and started going west and doing some desert riding, the bike just didn't have the fuel range for the desert. I sold it.

A while later I got a Suzuki DR250 to see if I still wanted to ride. I did, and I still am, but the darn thing is killing me in the dirt. No suspension and no power. I weigh more than I should (260# :thumbsup: and 6'2") but ,I am still having fun. But, doing it kills my knees and as I am getting a little weaker, it is hard to handle in the rough stuff. I do a lot of riding in Arizona, SoCal and NM. Some riding in Michigan. Going up the washes with the other guys is getting too hard on that DR250. It has got to go or I have to quit.

I have a chance to pickup a good used 2002 KTM 400EXC that doesn't have a lot of time on it. I rode it and it performs well, but it definitely needs a SEAT upgrade.

I have been doing research but can't seem to find a nice wide custom seat for any KTM earlier than a 2003. I need something with a little width at the rear and quite a bit more padding than the stock seat.

Anybody know where I can get a better seat for it???

Also, the bikes in pretty good shape, but I don't know what I should be willing to pay for it. Can you give me a price range that would be realistic. What with everything going up in price, I can't afford too much on a fixed income. Are KTM's a high maintenance bike? The DR has been pretty cheap to operate.

I sure will appreciate any and all comments you might have and suggestions you might make. I'm still wanting to ride til I can't do it. :ride:

Regards,

JON TWORK KB8RSA

FULLTIME RVer

(Retired, Unemployed, Homeless, Transients)

www.WERV2.com (under construction)

Find Jon: Via Amateur Radio http://tinyurl.com/jkvq3

Find Jon: Via Satellite www.tinyurl.com/5mtpq

Hi Jon,

I have an Enduro Engineering soft seat on my KTM. It makes a world of difference. I'm 5'9" so I got the normal height soft seat. My riding buddy is 6'2" and he has a tall soft seat on his KTM 520 EXC. I've ridden his and it is very comfy. I hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, an EXC400 is a great bike. :thumbsup: - Bill

The stock seats on the Ktm's are usually hard, most opt for the enduro engeneering or there is another company by the name of gutz if I'm not mistaken, both of these companies make pretty good comfortable seats. I hope to ride and keep on riding as I get older, 68 years young and still riding, good luck and keep on riding.

Jon,

You can't go wrong with a 400 EXC. I'm on my second one at this time. My 2002 was purchased with about 700 miles on it in August 2005 and I think the 700 miles was a little high. I gave $4,500 but the bike had every aftermarket accessory known to mankind on it and it was better than showroom condition. The guy I bought it from is a helicopter mechanic and takes pride in the details. Good for me! :thumbsup:

As others have said, there are a lot of aftermarket seats available. The stock seat is extremely hard. Any of the aftermarket seats are better than the stock seat.

As far as maintenance goes, they're no more maintenance intensive than any other dirt bike. You don't want to get into the habit of "putting it away wet" though. Keep it in good working order and you'll enjoy it for a long time.

Good Luck.

400 will be great, will love that "e" start. Any upholstery shop can help you out.

Renazco also is very good at redoing seats. You send them yours and they redo it. They cost alittle more, but very good quality and make it to your specs.

The 400 would be a good bike for you, you can add a larger gas tank than stock that will get you up in the 90 - 100 mile range or more. Also you can buy an Enduro Engineering tall / soft seat if you are around 6 ft tall, it is better than stock but still I get sore sometimes, not nearly like the stock KTM seat though. Also what helped my knees out was buying the aftermarket rotating foot pegs made by Pivot Pegz, these pegs work great in my opinion as they are rotating in both directions while you are riding taking some of the hit out of your knees and legs. The valve adjustments are no big thing as you can get lots of help here. This bike would be so much easier to ride than your previous bikes which in turn would be easier on your 68 year old body. I am 48 and with my first KTM being a 450 EXC I can see my self riding until I am 80 on these bikes. Good Luck with your decision.

That's great that your still riding, don't give it up. That 400 will be perfect for you and a Gutz comfort seat or EE seat will make all the difference. The Gutz seat uses the stock seat base but has a much wider foam. Many think it is the most comfortable. I've never tried one on my KTM but I had Gutz foam on my gassers and they were comfortable. The EE seat uses a new base which is flat on the bottom and allows for an additional amount of foam, I think 2" more. I have one on my bike and it is all day comfortable but they really aren't much wider than stock. Either one will be a night and day difference over stock.

The NADA Guide lists the average retail price at $3,600 and low retail price at $2,740 for an '02 400 EXC.