Sign in to follow this  

cleaning the air filter

Currently using a Unifilter and the Unifilter spray-on cleaner. Is there an easier (and cheaper) way to clean it. Can dish soap be used?

They spray on stuff works good because it get s the old oil out and if you just use soap the oil stays in mostly even with scalding hot water. You can use mineral spirits which is cheaper. I still wash my filters with soap after using the spray on stuff. :thumbsup:

I agree, the spray-on stuff works great! I guess I was just trying to save a buck, but I guess I'll keep using it.

I've been using kerosene for years now, and it works great. just put some kerosene in a small bucket, dip the filter in it, rinse with soapy water, then rinse with clean water to get the soap out. you can leave the kerosene in the bucket and use it over and over.

the kerosene is easy on the filter and they come out very clean.

I use the UNI filters, the Uni filter oil - non spray on type of oil, then I use Dawn Dishwashing Soap (the blue color) to clean the filter. No chemicals to smell or deteriorate the filter. Dawn soap with hot water will cut the oil and dirt. Wash the filter from inside out with the sprayer on my garage sink with hot water. Works great.

Some foam filter oils, like Belray, are really water resistant and on those you almost have to use a solvent or special cleaner. I don't ride much water or mud, mostly desert, so the UNI filter oil works well for me. The Dawn dishwashing soap won't clean the Belray oil out of a filter.

i use the motorex cleaning product in a tupperware, so i use quite 5 or 10 times the same liquid, but putting a "split-flame" (i saw it used when cooking in pirex glass, so the flame is not direct to glass) in the bottom, so the dirt cannot touch the filter again.

the most cheapest thing is dish-soap, but you could risk arm-pump during cleaning...while when i dip into cleaning-filter liquid, it is unbelievable,the dirt disappear without hand work.

on my unifilter, i saturate it with GUNK, let it sit 5 minutes, then rinse it out with clean water for a minute or 2, till the water is clear. The GUNK doesnt seem to affect the integrity of the filter, plus it cleans it very well. Also you can get it at Walmart for 1.50

I use no toil oil. Its cleans with warm water with PH plus( 6 dollars for 5 pounds) which is what you use in a pool. Believe it or not it is the same stuff as the no toil powder cleaner(7 dollars for 16 Oz). Try it and you will be a believer. I thought the guy who told me was crazy too. Yes it safe for your filter.

hey where do you buy kerosene at? thanks

you can buy it at most hardware stores and OSH has it too.

also kerosene is very inexpensive.

Kerosene for sure, most gas stations will sell it, but a lot don't anymore. Hardware stores will sell it though, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc... Kerosene won't eat the filter up, and cause it to rip, tear, and glue to come apart like gas will. Yet it works just as good as gas, if not better, as soon as you dip the filter in it, it's pretty much clean again. I used the spray cleaners from Unifilter and all that, it's just too expensive, buy a Kerosene can, go fill it up, then it will last you all year...you can re-use it too, just pour some into a bucket, keep the bucket for that use only.

You must have Kerosene in a approved Kerosene can though (blue gas cans, they will say KEROSENE), it is illegal to have it in a gas can or non-kerosene can.

I tired Dishsoap/Warm water, but with some really tacky filter oil, it is just too damn hard to get off.

I have to agree. Kerosene is the way to go. It works better than most of the expensive spray cleaners and you can get a gallon for around $3.00. That should last you at least a seaon of riding. :thumbsup: