Sign in to follow this  

Crash damage....any ideas?

I dropped off my son at his cousins house and let him spend the night last night....left his almost new crf50 too. I get there today to pick him and the bike up and found that his cousin drove into a tree - a small one that is the ONLY one if their whole front yard!! :thumbsup: . The left side peg is bent back, so I need the bar that holds the pegs. The shifter was up at about a 45 degree angle - and the actual lever itself is bent, so new one of those too. But the big problem is the shaft that the shift lever connects to - the end of it is now pushed back towards the footpeg. While that shaft does have a very slight bend, it's obvious that it must have really pushed some stuff out of place inside the transmission. I don't want to try to open the case - and my Sister said she'll pay for whatever it costs at our local dealer. Any ideas what might be goofed up inside the case from having that shift shaft pushed back like that?? Oh yeah, my nephew is fine. (I guess I forgot to mention that eh)......

First: For the peg bar, get a better bar from BBR (An adult bar). So keep your money away from honda OEM bar and get the BBR. www.bbrmotorsports.com

Now your transmission shaft: I got the shop manual for that 50 and the shaft actually goes all his way through the engine from the left side to the right side of your engine. Under the clutch cover it clics the link that shift the gears... Conclusion: I don't think your shaft could have make more damage to the transmission. Repair it and get back on the trail.

Hey, that's Honda products... It's made to be hard driving. Good luck !

Put a new shift shaft in, cheap and easy to replace, but you will have to pull the flywheel and clutch off. Shouldn't have caused any damage otherwise. You may need a new shift shaft seal, dirt cheap also.

I have a two bikes with this issue a z50 and my boys xr50. I have taken the box end of a wrench and with the shifter off slid the wrench over bent shaft and bent it back a little didn't get crazy just bent it back slow and easy did both bikes this way. My boys xr50 never missed a beat. The z50 leaks a little oil out that shaft seal but it is a 1978 z50.Did this over a year ago seems fine. I Will replace the shift fork and seal on the z soon Ill let you know how hard that is but most of this stuff is straight forward thats what makes these bikes so much fun :thumbsup:

If you pay $20 shipped, I'll send you a used shift lever with perfect splines and a shift shaft with perfect splines I took off when installing my TB manual clutch kit. The shift lever is painted black. It had some surface rust so I sanded it down then primed and painted it with some hard black paint. Also, the shift lever has no rubber part but the OEM one probably didn't get damaged so you use that. Here are some pictures of the parts.

shifty.jpg

shiftyy001.jpg

shiftyy002.jpg

shiftyy003.jpg

Unfortunately, the Z50R shift shaft assembly will not work with the CRF/XR50 engine, simply because the newer crankshaft is about 3/8"-1/2" longer on the left side of the engine. The newer shift shaft is also longer, and extends out for the shift lever to clear the left side engine cover.

When you do replace the shift shaft saw it off and deburr it as close to the engine as you can to avoid damage to the engine cases as you draw it back through the other side.

Watch eBay for take-off parts--I've gotten some killer deals on clutches, shift shafts and primary gears from folks who've replaced the stock autoclutches with manuals.

Bent it back like Big Perm said. I've done it also. Very easy and quick.

Okay I guess you can't use the shift shaft but I'm positive the shift lever is he same. You can have it for $10 shipped.

i tell you what man im in the process of moving right now but when i get to the garage i know i have to have the shift shaft in there somewhere ill try and locate it another option is to put a manual clutch on it but ill get with you on the shift shaft when i get a chance

also dont take it to a dealer there are plenty of people around that can work on fiddies in fact i could do it for you but youd have to mail me the motor but i could have it done in a day or so

Thanks for the info, and the offers too. Q - thanks for taking the time and effort to even take photos of parts! I did drop the bike off at the dealer. They are putting in a new shift shaft, oil seal, gaskets etc. I'm going to straighten out the shift lever, and I'll get a new support bar for the pegs too since it got bent right near the peg. The bike is 2 months old, so at this point I'd just feel better with a couple of new parts....when it's older I'll bend more things back and call it good. I'm trying to go easy on my sisters wallet by re-using the shift lever and doing the things I can do to keep the labor bill down. I cleaned the chain and it's been soaking in oil in my garage for a couple of days. Again, thanks for all of your offers and advice.....

Well I guess if your not paying, new parts are the way to go. I don't have a dealer anywhere near me so all parts have to be bought off the internet.

I dropped off my son at his cousins house and let him spend the night last night....left his almost new crf50 too. I get there today to pick him and the bike up and found that his cousin drove into a tree - a small one that is the ONLY one if their whole front yard!! :mad: . The left side peg is bent back, so I need the bar that holds the pegs. The shifter was up at about a 45 degree angle - and the actual lever itself is bent, so new one of those too. But the big problem is the shaft that the shift lever connects to - the end of it is now pushed back towards the footpeg. While that shaft does have a very slight bend, it's obvious that it must have really pushed some stuff out of place inside the transmission. I don't want to try to open the case - and my Sister said she'll pay for whatever it costs at our local dealer. Any ideas what might be goofed up inside the case from having that shift shaft pushed back like that?? Oh yeah, my nephew is fine. (I guess I forgot to mention that eh)......

That footpeg bar can be easily rebent with a mallet and save you some money too. Plus those aftermarket footpeg mounts don't have a spot to put the kickstand which is a huge pain in the ass in my opinion.