Sign in to follow this  

which 125?

i have about $1700 to spend and that is it. i am 14 5'2 110 and am coming off a cr80rb. i ride pretty aggressivly and i ride on trails with loose rocks and hillclimbs, and many ruts, i will also hit the track once in a while. i think that a 125 would be perfect for me. i can either get a 97 yz125 for a really good price, or any other 125 i can find in my price range. should i go for the yz? or should i keep looking and find a better bike? what is the best 125 in your guys oppinion? i would prefer a bike newer than 98. and please nobody suggest a 250f my riding style does not suit them and i cant offord one. thanks

You already answered your own question. Find the newest 125 you can in your price range. They are all good. I would have to say the cr125 is rumored to have been the least powerful, but that really shouldn't be an issue for you moving up from an 80. Good choice on the 125.

if it were my i would look for a KTM or YZ as the factory have kept them up to date while the others have let theirs lag behind. I am partial to the KTM myself.

like itch said...go with a yz or a ktm because both are the only manufactures that keep up on there 2 stroke bikes...get the newest one you can find in your price range...my 2 cents would be is to look for a bike and keep saving you money so when you find one youll have more money then you intend

if it were my i would look for a KTM or YZ as the factory have kept them up to date while the others have let theirs lag behind. I am partial to the KTM myself.

im the same, i have heard only good stuff about the KTM sx 125 and YZ 125, i am getting a new bike this year too and it will deffinitly be one of those

according to kbb the 2003 rm125 is only worth 1730 which is depreciated to about 1500 in my area, but the 2003 yz and ktm are both in the same range of about high 1800 range which will actually be about 1600 around where i live and some people said get the yz, i could get it for 900 dollars i would like a newer bike since i will be riding it for about 3 years probably. i am thinking that mabe a 250 will be better so i dont have to upgrade in a couple years or be bored of the power quickly. it is not that i am bored of the power on my 80 i just consider a playbike not a real bike because it just is not exciting anymore, i know the powerband so well it is never a shock to me when it hits the powerband anymore. i want something that will really be a challange but i can ride the crap out of it and it is not always on the rev limitor. i have figured out that 250s do not weigh much more than 125s and have lower seat hights in many cases. oh and like i said i dont want to have to instantly upgrade like i did on my first dirt bike a 01ttr125 only had it 4 months. i have found that the 2002 rm250 has a value of about 1700 where i live that is not old yet still affordable.

A 250 would work great for you I think. In your first post, you mentioned that you ride in the mountains a lot. A 125 will work in the mountains, while a 250 will work GREAT in the mountains. Might be a little more power than most would recommend, but just respect the bike and know your limits. Doing those two things will help you avoid most injuries.

A 250 would work great for you I think. In your first post, you mentioned that you ride in the mountains a lot. A 125 will work in the mountains, while a 250 will work GREAT in the mountains. Might be a little more power than most would recommend, but just respect the bike and know your limits. Doing those two things will help you avoid most injuries.

totally agree that is my point with the 250, i would not call the places i ride mountains but there is very deep mud when it rains, extreme hillclimbs, water crossings, and you will wreck so i would prefer a 2 stroke, i think that electric start sucks, i will be kicking my bike until they use electric engines instead of gas.

The newest possible sx 125 or yz 125. Yes a 250 would be fine for you too, but good luck finding a decent one for under 1800

edit: i was talking about a 250f right there, but a 250 2stroke would be brilliant once you get used to it