Sign in to follow this  

DR650 to a DRZ400?

Currently have a '96 DR650, been thinking of upgrading possibly to a DRZ400.

I've never rode a 400, is the engine noticably more powerful? Has anyone with a 400 ridden a 650 for comparison?

I put 20,000 miles on a 04' DR650 and went to a DRZ400E.

Pretty big difference in power and handling.

Love the DRZ on the trails, have yet to do a long trip on it but i reckon its quite capable.

I'll be doing a big trip on it within the year.

Look up TT member jimzuma. I ride with him and he rescently went from 650 to 400 and he says it is well worth it in the woods.

took my 400 to edmonton, from calgary, (300km 185mi) came to the conclusion that I needed a corbin seat, on the way back I took my friends dr650 to red deer (half way) we switched back, he couldn't take it, saying it was like a thong riding him. as for the compairson, I love my drz for its nimbleness and power, and when I get my corbin I'll probally like it even more, just my $0.02

I've had two big 650cc thumper dual-sports. The 650s were better than the 400 at freeway riding and long-distance stuff, but if you ever plan to leave the pavement, the 400 wins hands down!

My tengai is a 650 thumper and while it is a great touring machine, I'd never take anywhere I normally go on the klx. Then again I don't think I'll be doing any 1000 mile days on the klx either.

I have ridden both many times. 400 is better bike due to suspension and ability to upgrade but the s/sm is terribly underpowered stock. The 650 feels much more powerful but is actually close to s/sm output but with lots more bottom end grunt.

If your doing nothing but hardtop cruising the 650 may be more comfortable...if you want a dirt worthy bike that will cross over...go with the DRZ, if you can? plate an "E".

I've had both. I bought a new 400 in 2002 and loved it. I sold it a couple of years ago and bought a new 06 650. I just sold it. I felt the 400 was more powerful down low and was very surprised. I liked the 650 more on the open highway, but prefer the 400 overall. I just picked up an 05 400. Either bike is great however so good luck with whatever your decision.

Thanks for the responses! Guess I'd like to take a ride on a 400 to see how it compares to my 650. Nothing wrong with my 650, just getting the itch for something different.

took my 400 to edmonton, from calgary, (300km 185mi) came to the conclusion that I needed a corbin seat, on the way back I took my friends dr650 to red deer (half way) we switched back, he couldn't take it, saying it was like a thong riding him. as for the compairson, I love my drz for its nimbleness and power, and when I get my corbin I'll probally like it even more, just my $0.02

Dude,

That ride doesn't count. 6 corners in 300 K anything hurts. I found a goldwing gave me numb bum on that ride. I can't even imagine wanting to try it on a DRZ. Not due to distance, just the cross winds, and utter lack of anything interesting.

Only thing that trip is good for is high speed average (215 Kmh one way was my best) runs and it is getting so heavily enforced you can't even do that anymore. Damn that run was 20 years ago. I guess that expalains the first paragraph. Although my brother did it on an XT225 regularily. Holy I guess I will just sign off now... :thumbsup:

I hit it for 250+ km on the DRZ on a regular basis. All afternoon rides down backroads and trips home to my parents place, you just have to switch positions on the seat, stand up, etc every now and then. You have to stop for fuel fairly frequently as well, so that helps.

I've never driven a 650, but I know I wanted to try that kawasaki 650 for a while. Glad I got the DRZ, it's heavy enough when I'm manually relocating the front wheel going down some mudhole on the deathwings. BTW, those tires roost like crazy when you've got it to the pin in 2nd gear sitting all the way back on the seat... lol! Good thing they're totally bald. Kenda's next paycheck..

I had 3500 mi on my 650. I was doing mostly trail riding. My wife got a 400s. After doing the 3x3 and tires I knew I wanted one too. I found a guy who wanted to trade his 03 drz (5000 mi) for my 03 650. I never looked back... well I do miss the tractor like 650 power, It seemed no matter what gear I was in, I just had to roll the throttle and it would go. For the trails we ride the 400s is a blast over the 650.