Sign in to follow this  

dr 350 vrs. xr400 -buying one

Need your opinions- looking at two 1996's one dr350 and one xr400. The dr is in good shape, i'd say about a 6+ on a 1-10 scale. Seems to run good, needs minor tlc. I can get it for 1050.00. The xr is in good shape maybe a 7+ also runs good. 1500.00 for the xr. Both seem mostly orig. and stock, the xr more so. Just wanted to run this by the tt crowd. Any thoughts? Thanks.

DR350 never impressed me at all. The stock carb is a pile of crap.

I'd go XR4 all the way, but get a newer one. The first couple years have some tranny issues.

I am having a hard time finding a xr 400 in my area. I want one to ride w/the family and poss. take the place of my cr250. The xr I am looking at has been ridden but not abused but what is the deal on the 96's? What should I look for as far as poss. problems? I have been ridding for many years but never looked at a dr or xr400 (had a few xr600 and a 200). I know first year model have some bugs that need to be worked out but do most people stay away from 96's? This is almost a done deal unless you guys talk me out of it. Thanks.

If the 1996 400 is in good shape, no problem. Any tranny problems would be on high mileage bikes. The later A16 carb needle is the only carb change you would need to make if you uncork the eshaust & intake systems. The 400 is a much better performer enginewise and suspension than a DR350.