Sign in to follow this  

Ferrea Valves

Looking to upgrade my stock 05 head to stainless here in the near future. Its the left intake....as usual :ride: Now I'm looking at Ferrea because the machine shop I work at sells them and I get an employee discount plus I can do the machine work myself. Thats been my summer job for about 2 years now so grinding the seats and assembling is no problem at all for me.

Now my question is why doesn't Ferrea have a listing for the 05? They list in their 2006 catalog from 02-04. Will this part still fit my 05 head? What about the spring kit? Should I lap the valves to the seats? :thumbsup:

It may not sound like it by my questions but I do know what I'm doing...I just haven't ever worked on this type of head before. I'm used to diesel and 350 chevy heads :applause:

Thanks for the help guys. I'm really hoping that this stuff fits so I can save a couple bucks.

They fit but you want the good guides too. Personally I believe part of the problem is inconsistant concentricity of the guide to valve pocket opening, painfully on the edge of adequate OEM valve springs, sloppy OEM valve guides and the aggressive cam grind all contribute to valve recession. Its not one thing.

Personally, Id call Ron Hamp and get his good springs to put on your Ferra Valves, and use the Ti parts. And make sure you check the installed hieght of the springs. .015" can make a difference.

Ok that brings up another question.....what do you consider "the good guides?" I didn't know there were guides other than stock out there.

I was jsut doing some searching and it seems that Ron uses Ferrea valves also but puts a coating on them. What that all about? What is it and would it be worth it?

The spring kit....I thought most kits where the heavier springs with the Ti collars. Whats the difference with Ron's stuff?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but like I said this is new territory for me and I just want to make sure I get it right the first time. I'm not one to fix something 2 times

Ok that brings up another question.....what do you consider "the good guides?" I didn't know there were guides other than stock out there.

I was jsut doing some searching and it seems that Ron uses Ferrea valves also but puts a coating on them. What that all about? What is it and would it be worth it?

The spring kit....I thought most kits where the heavier springs with the Ti collars. Whats the difference with Ron's stuff?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but like I said this is new territory for me and I just want to make sure I get it right the first time. I'm not one to fix something 2 times

I drawing a blank right now on the guides..either CP or CV...way better guides. You have to coat a TI valve. Titanium isnt all that hard really. They put the coating on the valve sealing face so it will live. You'll notice that once that coating is gone and you have to reshim them more than a couple thousandths you dont much out of the adjustment time wise. The coating is gone and the valve wears very quicky. Why did it wear? The valve guide may not be prefectly centered in the hole, the head changed shape slightly changing the angles etc...the castings are so light that it wouldnt surprise me at all if no two heads measured the same...but once the coating is gone the Ti gets friendly with the valve seats and they dont get along well at all...

PM RHC...

I drawing a blank right now on the guides..either CP or CV...way better guides. You have to coat a TI valve. Titanium isnt all that hard really. They put the coating on the valve sealing face so it will live. You'll notice that once that coating is gone and you have to reshim them more than a couple thousandths you dont much out of the adjustment time wise. The coating is gone and the valve wears very quicky. Why did it wear? The valve guide may not be prefectly centered in the hole, the head changed shape slightly changing the angles etc...the castings are so light that it wouldnt surprise me at all if no two heads measured the same...but once the coating is gone the Ti gets friendly with the valve seats and they dont get along well at all...

PM RHC...

Yes the Guides are from CV4 , and Ron has a hard facing coating added to the steel valves, ( not to be confused with Stainless Steel ----but Steel -ferrea's are steel---they are lighter and better )

the wire used for the springs is some of the best wire and it really holds its shape and they do not sack out .

i belive ron special orders the valves and they make them for ron.

I would get the valves if i were you and have ron hook up the springs kit and coat the valves also. They work great

By the sounds of it I ought to just call Ron and order everything from him :thumbsup:

What's the advantage of his regular steel valves with this special coating compared to a stainless with no coating?

I'd also like to know some prices here cause I don't want to spend a fortune :ride: What about the guides? What do they run?