Sign in to follow this  

what the hell is that noise!!!!!!!!

Ok second time out on this 01 wr250f, it's got all the free mods, power now and I just put a yz ProMotoBillet exhaust system on it and it just rips.......

My buddy has a 450f honda and he almost shit his pants, he say's it's got to be bored out or something...... :ride:

But it really does sound like it's going to explode

He thinks it's making a bearing noise, I'm just getting ready to put a new cam chain and auto decom. hot cam's in it and I was sure hope'n it was just chain noise.

Are there any common bearing issues with this motor or any one got any ideas what to look for or how to diagnose an issue like this ?

I know I'm not giving much to go on but that bastard freaked me out and I'm ready to tear it apart................... :thumbsup:

Was it a knocking sound?

A loose chain will make a knocking sound at low rpm's/tall gear/heavy throttle.

That's the sound of the chain smacking the swingarm.

I rebuilt a motor on my '98 yzf400 because of that sound.

Check your flywheel. The rivets come loose on WR's It happened to mine. If you pull off the cover, you can rotate the flywheel while the center hub stays still. Mine moved about 1/16". The sound was from the flywheel rubbing on the stator. There were some metal shavings, but that's about it.

-Toby

Toby, you know I was up late going over the treads on the forum and read about the loose rivets and I was stoked to check it out in the morning and sure enough loose rivets !!! Beats the hell out of a bad bearing, but these flywheels are costy, anyone have any luck repairing them or is there an after market solution thats more cost effective ?

It's $120 or so for the flywheel from the dealer. I definitely wouldn't try repairing it, the holes are wallowed out by now. Back when they were newer, some people went and bitched to their dealers enough to get it replaced for free.

Make sure your flywheel puller fits good. I just bought one from Ty Davis for next time. Also, it's very important to leave the flywheel nut on loosely when you break the flywheel loose, because otherwise you'll mushroom over the end of your crank, and that's a bummer to fix. you'll find metal shavings stuck to everything. I rinsed, blew, and pulled those off with a real strong magnet.

The sound is real scary, huh? I could hear it when I turned the bike over with the kickstarter. The clue was that it slapped about 6 times for each revolution. That's when the magnets are passing over the coils.

Good luck,

Toby

Yep, Yep, Yep, just push'n the kick starter sounded like corn flakes inside.

I hear ya trash it, it's sooooooo lose it's just like sloopy seconds anyway no doubt. This is a great time for me to replace it anyway, I've got hot cams in the mail along with a timing chain so what the hell do it right........I'll be throw'n rocks at the guys behind me in no time ................