Sign in to follow this  

throttle cable install after installing Mikuni

I've got the carb on, I also ran the throttle cables. Here's where I show my ignorance:

Which cable goes where on the carb? On the handlebars, there's the front cable and the back cable, I can't figure out which is the pull cable etc.

Should I install the cables on the carb first? Or the throttle first?

Is there a trick to getting the cables on the carb?

Once again, thanks for any help,

Steve

sbabs, thats not as bad of a question as you think. I had my cables backwards for about a year. Realized it when i was trying to figure out why it wasnt closing the throttle well by itself when i let go. i was overshooting turns cuz the throttle was still on a little!

anyway, the guy at xr'sonly swore there was no way i could have them backwards, but i swapped them and it works better than ever! unfortunately i am not at my bike now to see which is which. But if you're still having issues i can check tonight. I think i put them on the carb first as it seemed harder, then do the throttle housing. those can be done incorrectly and still work to so ya know, ive done that too :thumbsup:

I installed my Mikuni kit from XRs Only a few weeks ago and if I remember right the back cable is the pull side and that went to the bottom side of the carb.

One thing I noticed on my bike is the the two stock throttle cables came out of the twist throttle housing and went on either side of the front break line. I installed the XRs Only cables the same way and I noticed it was binding up when I would turn it. So I removed the pull cable again and put it in front of the brake line.

I put the carb on first and then ran the cables.

Two other things. First you need to take a razor blade and cut off the two index tabs off of the stock intake boot. Second it would have been nice if XRs Only made the air cleaner boot adapter 1/4" longer. Just make the air cleaner boot cover up the groves in the alum adapter.

I just pinched off the tab from the intake boot with a pair of dykes. The carb slid in much further then and sat straight. I'm going to try connecting the carb first, then the throttle.

Thanks any other input is greatly appreciated.

I removed the 3 bolts holding the airbox on.Makes it easier to get the boot all the way on the back of carb.