dr 350 vrs. xr 400- buying one

Looking at two 1996's, a dr350 and a xr 400. Both are mostly stock and orig. the xr slightly more so. The dr is about a 6+ on a 1-10 scale and the xr 7+. The Dr also needs alittle more tlc to spruce it up. The dr is going for 1050.00 and the xr can be had for 1500.00. Anyone have a opinion on this? Wanted to check with the TT crowd before I pic one. Thanks for looking.

That's a tough choice, they are both really good bikes. The DR has a six speed transmission vs. the XR 5 speed. They both have about the same aftrermarket availability. I don't know what the weight comparison is, but neither one is a motocross machine. If you can get parts cheap enough to get the DR where you like it for less than the price of the XR then that's the way to go. Otherwise get the XR and ride!

What are you wanting to do with it? I have a DR350SE (street version with electric start) and its great. Its my first bike however, so use that knowledge to just my next comment - its pretty slow ? 30HP, aircooled ... not sure if the XR is aircooled or not.

However, I didnt buy it to be mr.cool with the fastest bike. People have taken these things and circumnavigated the globe with them, doing everything from the ice of the Himilayas and Alaska, to the sands of the Sahara, to everything in between. You really cant find a bad opinion of the bike, aside from the relative lack of power compared to others in its class. However, upgrading to a DR650 brings quite a bit more weight (from what I read) and given the choice, for tight technical backwoods or trail riding the 350 wins (again, from what I read:) ).

Do some reading on it. Im sure there will be some good opinions of the XR as well as they are very popular, but the DR350 seems to just be one of those staple foodgroups in the diet of motorcycling.

Good luck in your choice. I dont regret mine at all!

As a DR350 owner I would say get the XR400. The XR400 especially in the suspension department can be made to work better than a DR. Reliability might be slightly better with the DR. Also a stock XR is slightly more powerfull than a stock DR.

Either bike is good though.

DC

I'd say the XR is a slightly better bike too but I'm not sure that it's almost $500 better.

Also I'm guessing that these are both the off road versions? If so then the power differences may not be that much since the off road DR comes with the flat or semiflat slide carb which is supposed to make the bike stronger than my street one.

I think it all depends on where your wanting to go. The XR will prob last a lil longer. The XR is air cooled actualy the motor in the XR is a 1980's design they just hoped up the classic Xr350 and change the graphix every year. You can drop it off a cliff and it'll still fire up on the first kick. Add a pipe and it'll come alive. However, it's shorter and lacks in the torque department. The suspension is more adjustable and there are alot more aftermarket parts you can get for it. The dr is going to put down a little more torque and will outrun your buddys if they are on other oldschool 4-strokes. The suspension does flat out suck though and there's not much you can do about it. They also ware out a little faster from what I've seen. If it was me I would get the Xr but if your wanting to ride it on and off road I would get the Dr....it's up to you. One more thing...The Dr has incredible brakes and the Xr is average.