07 YZ 250 suspension settings

Just got my 07 YZ 250 and road it at the track last night. I know I still need to break in the suspension but am wondering what you guy are using for some base line settings. I'm 185 with out gear , B rider, Track only. I found the bike was darting around and very unstable in the chop. Next moto I stiffened up all Comp and Rebound settings by 3 clicks but not a lot of help. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Just got my 07 YZ 250 and road it at the track last night. I know I still need to break in the suspension but am wondering what you guy are using for some base line settings. I'm 185 with out gear , B rider, Track only. I found the bike was darting around and very unstable in the chop. Next moto I stiffened up all Comp and Rebound settings by 3 clicks but not a lot of help. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

I have 100 mm sag. Nice video U.A.N. I think it was just minor changes for 07 so I would like to see what your using at least to start with. By the way your bike handled that it seems that you have it figured out.

This is true... the forks do take some time to break-in.

However in stock form the bike was also throwing me all over the place and even kicked me over the bars once (nothing like flying over the bars of your brand new bike) so I had no choice but to get to work right away.

I just made sure I made refinements weekly as things became more broken in. The shock broke in really fast but the forks where a pain for some time. You will know when the forks break-in because you will be bottoming them on hard landings, thats when its time to bring up the oil level from the minimum (or at least it was at the minimum in 06, unsure about the 07's).

By the way your described the handling though, pretty much sounds like the way the 06 performed with the crappy stock settings...

My last bike had Showa Twin Chambers that where revalved by Pro-Action. They where very good. When I first bought the YZ I thought about getting the bike revalved because there seemed to be no hope by the first impression on the stock settings.

But then after time spent tuning in the forks clickers and oil height and giving them time to break in I started to really see them shine. They now actually feel better than the Pro-Action showa's I had before.

For my speed, style, and conditions I dont see any area they can be improved at this point. I have them feeling so good I am scared to touch them or have anyone else touch them for that matter. Simple fluid changes is all they will be seeing untill performance degrades (which I hope it dont).

Now if I was riding woods and off road, then I would have to revalve. But for MX these are pefect for me now. Yamaha valved for MX thats for sure.

My only complant about these forks which is one that you really cant change, is the way they feel when they do bottom out hard, like when you case a triple. The Showa's bottomed out like there was rubber in there, it was really gentle on the wrist, but the KYB's bottom out more sharply and send more of a jolt to the wrist. This is not the kind of thing that will be felt unless I screw up badly and case a really big jump. For the most part I never feel this joint, and when I do it means I'm going to be on the ground an about a second anyway because I majorly screwed up.

Tried raising the oil level even higher to help this but then the forks feel too stiff and dont use the full stroke each lap like they should. Its just something I have to deal with if I want to ride KYB's. They just dont bottom as nicely as Showa's, or maybe its just the rigid aluminum frame I'm feeling... Who knows. They feel so good everywhere else though that I dont complain. I love them.

Thanks UpAllNight, just tried your recommended settings and they where way better than what I had before. Raised the forks in the next moto with good results and no loss of stability. I am now in the ball park and will fine tune for my weight and track. What front tire are most of you running? The 755 doesn't seem to work that well in the soft stuff.

For the soft stuff I use the 756 front tire. Whats nice about it is it grips is mud, sand and the softer side of clay.

Glad the settings helped. Did you settle on the rebound for the shock at 4 turns out and the forks at 4 turns out or are you going a different way with that?

Went with the 4 and 4. May change it up a little but need more track time to play with it. I have run 756 s before along with S12's with good results but more for off road not MX.