Sign in to follow this  

Winning motocross without training?

If you are an amateur racer and you get tired in a 4 lap moto I don't care if your 45 or 15 you may not be out of shape! All these Training videos like Gary Semics talk about the importance of fitness in motocross. Does that apply to the weekend racer? I would say no. So Why would a person who became a doctor say this ridiculous crap on TT? Because it is true! This Revelation hit me over time. I watched a 52 year old man swim 50 laps in the pool at my gym. I thought wow that guy is fit! I then saw him again a week later in my spinning class and the guy was dying in 10 minutes! I spoke to him after class. He told me he has been swimming for 40 years! He was all state in distance and had a scholarship to college, He always loved swimming. He is taking up bike riding and found it tough. He felt he needs to be in better shape. I thought to myself, how can he be out of shape when he swims 10 miles a week! My buddy is a fitness nut training 30 years never missing a week. I have seen he due the stair master 2 hours straight! He rides street bikes and we used to ride in dirt. He rode my bike (crf450R )5 minutes and was dead tired! I injured my ACL in October 1995 I was laid up from riding until march 2006 After a month on the bike I was back winning the 30 and 40 B classes. I did not train. I have come to the conclusion that pro's ride 15-17 laps each moto for 2 moto's we ride 4-5 laps for 2 motos. or 5/17Th's = 29% of a pro ! Get it! we don't need that fitness! The guy that swims has such perfect technique and neuromuscular traing over years and years, swimming uses very little energy. My fitness buddy too! all that time and skill at the gym requires less energy. Then when these guys get a totally different neromusclar coordinating patter they become weak and tired!

LET'S BEGIN OUR CONVERSATION TT FANS

Well Mr. Know it all, why the Heck am I tired after 3 laps? I work out and eat well so what's up?

The answer is simple, YOU CAN"T RIDE!

Your a jerk, I have raced years and do great I CAN RIDE!

Then you are the guy who states: I am faster on a 250f then a 450F because OF MY CORNER SPEED ON A 250F AND I GET LESS TIRED SO I MAINTAIN A FASTER PACE.

I REPEAT: U CAN'T RIDE!

OK I AM READY TO KICK YOUR FACE IN SO EXPLAIN

simple you are fighting the bike constantly not riding the bike. you are using up 10X more energy going half as fast. On a 450 you get drained fast due to the amplification of mistakes and poor technique. On a 250f you can manhandle it more and the lack of power doesn't drain you.

GO ON...

There are drills and practice techniques to resolve this so you can rail all day on a 450F all done up and ride without fatigue.

Did you invent them? what the heck did you ever do in MX?

I suck like the rest of you and have done nothing but love riding for 30 years.

I am selling nothing. If you want to do a few drills in practice to use less energy and ride faster I can help. PS the GSMX TAPES are great and are the basis of actually practicing not riding around like a foll repeating every error and training yourself to suck more.

different sports use different muscles. Thats why the swimmer is fine in the water and dying on a bike, because on a bike its all legs.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you said, if that were the case, the factory riders wouldn't be training all day long, every day of the week because they'd be able to pull off two pratices, qualifiers and two motos on race day without getting fatigued because of their skill on the bike

different sports use different muscles. Thats why the swimmer is fine in the water and dying on a bike, because on a bike its all legs.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you said, if that were the case, the factory riders wouldn't be training all day long, every day of the week because they'd be able to pull off two pratices, qualifiers and two motos on race day without getting fatigued because of their skill on the bike

You are not listening! I said us! amateur's 71% less riding! in 4 laps these guys are not even warmed up and our moto is over. We are not pro! pro's all can ride and need to ride 35 min plus at a way faster pace using more energy.

At a local level a skilled rider can race 2 classes and not need to be as fit as a pro. I am not even talking about the A class just B and C.

PS It is not different muscles it is Neuromuscular training. Neuro= brain muscular= muscles. Not using them but training brain to muscle. For example Bench press if you never trained before you can double your bench press in a few months not by gaining strength but by your brain-muscle connection getting better.

OK the suspense is over. Next time you ride, think about what is draining that you're doing. Are you uncomfortable in turns? jumps? whoops? what. Then at the beginning of practice due some warm up laps and then go to your Achilles heel part of riding and practice just that till it is easy. then ride laps! pull off then repeat. Mine was turns.I just did the sections that I bobble and struggle with focusing on technique ( Buy GSMX video or similar) Then it became easy to ride! The easy stuff is still easy and the hard stuff is easy so here I am kicking butt!

NOW PRO OR A CLASS MUST TRAIN OFF THE BIKE AS WELL AS ON, Why? you due 8-10 laps B,C class 4 laps.

Even racing I racing and am behind a guy, I see his weakness even if overall we are equal or he is faster. I exploit that weakness and I can beat him

I happen to partly agree. I almost won a race sunday, I effin wrecked, and I dont train at all.

So let me get this straight, you are saying our physical bodies don't need to be as fit as we think to ride more laps without getting fatigued. We just need our brain to get used to the intense situations in riding and we will ride faster?

If this is what you are trying to say. I partly agree with you. The brain is a key muscle to any activity, but having a physically fit body is also a plus. For example people who are more fit can maneuver the bike better in corners or in whoops and even on jumps. So IMO if you have both the brain and the body built for riding you could be the next great thing.

Heres my take! agree to a point.Im 37 started racing again, been doing it onand off since i was 14.My #1 point is there is no substitute for seat time.Riding time!!! even riding easy is better than lifting or swimming..Its just different ive trained but Im a weekend warrior.I can tell how much riding ,especially riding with a friend who is faster helps.doing something pushups,situps are better than nothing.Also do pushups or some armwork before motos!?!? I thought no way I will get tired quick.Notice the more you ride the more comfortable you get and less arm pump.Sorry cant take credit.I read about it and it works!!Russ

I completely agree with him. I can do all kinds of cardio workout but still get tired on a bike. Maybe he said part of it a little wrong. He compared watching a swimmer practice and do all those laps and then said pro Mxers race for 15-17 laps. When they practice they can do Waaaaaay more than that and not because they are going slower. Also the top rider in AZ(Shaun Kalos) can win the four stroke nationals when they come to town with little to no training(long motos). I'm pretty sure he had just gotten off of having valley fever and been sick for a couple months. The thing is he rides super smooth, doesn't fight the bike or flick the clutch, and racing to him is probably just like practicing or even walking. He is a vet now so he doesn't seem to get caught up in all the pressures.

o yea he didnt win this year...he got a 1st in one moto and a flat very near the end of another while leading.

are u guys joking??? you CAN NOT AND WILL NOT do as good as you can as if you where in shape and had been training. End of story. you have to be in shape and train and work out. and not just a normal work out like this guy you where observing swimming. You have to train specifically for MX. No matter what level you are at.

this is the best way i can get my pint across thru example so here ya go...

I race 125B in the Amature nationals, about a month or two ago I was really beginning to pick my speed up and make great improvements. Now that i was at a new level of riding my muscles had new and greater demands and i could run this new pace for 2 or 3 laps b4 i would be tired. I picked my training up and started running more as well and two months later that new pace i had found wasnt just a sprint but is my normal race speed and i can pick my pace up even more then that when i need to.

BOTTOM LINE YOU CAN NOT JUST RIDE IF YOU WANT TO BE AS GOOD AS YOU WANT TO BE.

but it is true that you only get really fatigued when you make mistakes and have to wrestle..... but mistakes happen no matter who you are Ricky is amazing because he has the strength to never let off the throttle even when he does make a mistake or more importantly when the obstacle is rediculous and a mortal would surely make one.

are u guys joking??? you CAN NOT AND WILL NOT do as good as you can as if you where in shape and had been training. End of story. you have to be in shape and train and work out. and not just a normal work out like this guy you where observing swimming. You have to train specifically for MX. No matter what level you are at.

this is the best way i can get my pint across thru example so here ya go...

I race 125B in the Amature nationals, about a month or two ago I was really beginning to pick my speed up and make great improvements. Now that i was at a new level of riding my muscles had new and greater demands and i could run this new pace for 2 or 3 laps b4 i would be tired. I picked my training up and started running more as well and two months later that new pace i had found wasnt just a sprint but is my normal race speed and i can pick my pace up even more then that when i need to.

BOTTOM LINE YOU CAN NOT JUST RIDE IF YOU WANT TO BE AS GOOD AS YOU WANT TO BE.

yes but i think this thread was about winning at an ameutur level without training, not being all that you can be. Im assuming he means if you have an abudance of talent and skill....

isnt winning beeing all you can be?? if it isnt you might wanna reconsider what class your in and step up if you want a real challenge.

even at an ameter level, when you're racing a 15 minute moto, trains helps quite a bit. I can see at the end of the motos when people start to fade because they don't train, You need to train even on an ameteur level to push as hard as you can for an entire moto.

even at an ameter level, when you're racing a 15 minute moto, trains helps quite a bit. I can see at the end of the motos when people start to fade because they don't train, You need to train even on an ameteur level to push as hard as you can for an entire moto.

My point is this. the entire moto is nothing! 4 laps? If you need to do 8-12 laps then yes training helps but if you are "COMFORTABLE" and "RELAXED " at a race pace you probably do not need to TRAIN LIKE A PRO! I did not say a guy who sits on the sofa all day drinking beer and smoking can race. I am saying if you ride and race you are most likely in good shape. And if you are fighting and muscling the bike all over the track you are in good shape. but if you took the HR of a pro at 4 laps he would be at 110 to 120. A novice in equal condition would be at 170-190! the difference is programming yourself and technique to be automatic and relaxed. stop talking about pros. If you are a kid 7-16 just ride thats all you need. If you turn pro you need to train due to the long long hard fast moto's , pre qualifiers and semi's. if you add a pro race of a non top 40 entry he race more in that weekend than we race in a month of weekends!

Yea I see what you mean. The reason that I dont like racing at the amateur level is because of the lack of seat time. I dont like the fact that you pay 30 dollars CAD (25 USD roughly) to ride for two 10 minute motos. Thats 20 minutes of riding. I can ride all day as long as I want for 20 USD at any practice track and ride with friends and race with them. I race once a month or so to see where Im at with the riding level, but other than that theres no need to train your ass off to perform for 10 minutes.

I have to kinda agree with him although I call it technique, not neruomuscular connection. Simple, if Im not paying atention and riding like a goon I will get bombed out fast. How ever I can go a long time without getting tired if I focus and ride smooth. I also agree theres no need to train like hell for 15 minutes max of riding at any given time. However if you were to be into offroad racing I would say you need to be on top of your training, technique can only get you so far in a 2 hour race.

I have to kinda agree with him although I call it technique, not neruomuscular connection. Simple, if Im not paying atention and riding like a goon I will get bombed out fast. How ever I can go a long time without getting tired if I focus and ride smooth. I also agree theres no need to train like hell for 15 minutes max of riding at any given time. However if you were to be into offroad racing I would say you need to be on top of your training, technique can only get you so far in a 2 hour race.

Absolutely right. There's a huge difference between a 100 miler and a couple of 10-20 minute motos. For me it is actually easier physically to ride long desert races than it is to do MX. Longer duration but not nearly as intense IME. That's why the MX guys can adapt easier to off road than vice versa. Either way, especially a my age, training is critical if you want to be somewhat serious on race day. I have lots of respect for off road experts and pros. They are all extreme sports athletes and damn strong ones at that.

here is how I have been training and practicing. I go to the track on practice days 3 times a week. I will focus on riding position and cornering technique. Then I go out in the next session and ride my ass off for 6-8 laps. On the next session I will hook up with the fast guys and try to run that pace incorporating practice skills and smoothness. on race day its on