Sign in to follow this  

What DS rides to do this fall?

47 y/o, back riding after 10 years away. Probably 25 since any dirt other than exploring some easy trails, very flat here. "Exploring" is what I really like, just putt putting around mostly. Wheelies, climb some hills (that don't scare me) Have no desire to see how fast I can run some section. I've read that lots of these turn into semi-races, that's not for me. Though I know enough to start last :applause:

But had a bike from 8 y/o to 37. I'm no novice, been riding and reading the mags for a long time. I can control a bike. (though the power of the 650 is intimidating at times) Have a dual sported xr650r so the bike is a lot more capable than me. :thumbsup:

Want some EZ dirt riding to ease back into it. Pretty nervous about getting hurt, I'm a small business owner and the holidays are hugely busy, I can't afford to get really hurt this time of year. Secondly I don't presently have health insurance after going through a divorce and having to buy my ex out of our business :ride: Do rides require proof of insurance? I haven't gone all summer because of the insurance part, but I'm just going nuts here not riding this beast on something that gives a little. I have full gear and intend to use it. I work out and am in pretty good shape, very good cardio.

What rides would you suggest in the area?

There is a National DS event being held in Columbus Indiana at the Stoney Lonesome club, in mid September, that you could try. It's a fun event without getting scary. There's one section that's run on a paintball course that can get a little gnarly if it's wet. If your nervous, you can skip any section you want. Then, Bill Kaepner's group (Buckeye Dualsporters) is running a 2 day event on 9/30 and 10/1 near Logan Ohio. The 9/30 ride will be some pretty aggressive single track. Sunday's ride (10/1) will be more laid back. Once again, if you're not comfortable, just skip the B, A, and AA sections, or skip Saturday's ride altogether. Then on 10/22 the COCR in Sugar Grove Ohio will host their 2nd "big bike" dual sport ride. This ride is geared toward heavier bikes (KLRs, etc) so it's not too tough, and mostly run on dirt and gravel roads. The color change in the trees should be awesome by then. There are two National DS rides coming up in Ohio this fall: one in early Sept. in New Stratsville, and one in mid Oct. in MacArthur. Both rides will be pretty aggressive, so you might not want to ride, considering your comments on health insurance, etc. They're basically untimed Enduros. Off the subject - I'm curious what business you own, since I live nearby in Van Wert, and am in Fort Wayne often.

The Forest City Riders event near Byron/Leaf River, IL (early November) is outstanding. :thumbsup:

This is a great ride, but with all due respect, I would call it a non competitive enduro or organized trail ride, not a dual sport ride. They only bill it as a DS ride for insurance reasons.

They are using existing enduro trails, albeit the easier ones. Look around the parking lot and notice how many true dual sport bikes? Almost none, plated EXC's don't count.

I rode it last year on my 640 Adventure and had a blast, but I am a experience off road rider. A novice or returning rider, on a big heavy 650 class dual sport would have hated it. The organizers did not have options, to ride around the more difficult and tighter sections. Granted a lot of the course would be doable, but it only takes a couple of harder sections, to ruin a beginners day.

I had a couple of friends in the same situation, who got up at 5:00 AM and drove four hours to ride this event. They had a KLR and a 950 KTM. As they drove through the gate, the comment was "look a couple of big dual sport bikes, I wouldn't want to ride one of those things here, are you sure you want to do this?" They got out, took a look around and decided to go home. A big waste of a day for them, because of they way it was promoted.

I felt partially responsible, because I urged them to come. I emailed the promoters, explained what happened and made some suggestions. If they continue to promote it as a DS ride, but offer alternatives to the course, I would say, sure bring a big bike. But if it remains the same, no way, unless you want a challenge and awe and admiration from all the wussies on real enduro bikes!

Don't get me wrong. I like this ride and will do it again. Maybe even on my 640 again. If the question was, I just got another enduro bike after 20 years of not riding, don't want to race, but looking for a great ride, the Byron DS ride would be one of them. Thielman, MN also has a great organized trail ride too.

My 10 cents (inflation, you know)

With all due respect to your due respectfullness, there's a big difference (to me) between a returning rider on an XR650 versus a KLR or a big KTM. I remember seeing those bikes there that day and thinking - "Holy Crap!"

I think a novice, or returning rider would have tackled the FCR event on an XR650 without a whole lot of problems - IMHO. :ride:

I hope to see you there this fall. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, lots of good stuff there. With all duest respect,( :thumbsup: ) it's a straight dirt 650 with a baja designs kit on it to make it legal. And I wouldn't lump 'returning' with novice at all. I KNOW what to do, it's just that I haven't actually DONE it in years.

With all due respect to your due respectfullness, there's a big difference (to me) between a returning rider on an XR650 versus a KLR or a big KTM. I remember seeing those bikes there that day and thinking - "Holy Crap!"

I think a novice, or returning rider would have tackled the FCR event on an XR650 without a whole lot of problems - IMHO. :applause:

I hope to see you there this fall. :thumbsup:

Ok, so a XR650R is a featherweight at 325 lbs with gas. Where my Adventure is more like 375 lbs with a half of tank of fuel. No need to fill er up, if were only riding 100 miles!

Seriously, the promoters need to inform people that it is really not dual sport friendly, unless they provide alternative routes. I hang out with a lot of D.S. guys and to them that means, DR650's, XR650L's, KTM 640's and 950's, GS 650's and twins and on and on and on. I would like to see an HP4 on that tight single track, you know, where your cylinders are wider than the bars!!!

As a rule, I also think most of these guys have limited off road experience. Novice skills, tight trails and 300 lb bikes, may not be a good mix. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I will bring my Beta next time.

:ride:

2whlrcr, you forget to mention how your emails and feedback on the FCR event were welcomed by the club and how the club will be trying this year to provide different routes for the true dual sports. We've always wanted out Dual Sport to be a fun event for the average weekend warrior and over the years we never had any real dual sport bikes show up so we've always just used the easy enduro stuff and everyone's been happy. Now that we've gotten some real dual sport bikes and the event keeps growing we will adjust the trail layout to try to keep everyone happy. Plus we will be starting at the school as we did with the spring enduro, should be a good time.

Hope to see everyone there.

2whlrcr, you forget to mention how your emails and feedback on the FCR event were welcomed by the club and how the club will be trying this year to provide different routes for the true dual sports. We've always wanted out Dual Sport to be a fun event for the average weekend warrior and over the years we never had any real dual sport bikes show up so we've always just used the easy enduro stuff and everyone's been happy. Now that we've gotten some real dual sport bikes and the event keeps growing we will adjust the trail layout to try to keep everyone happy. Plus we will be starting at the school as we did with the spring enduro, should be a good time.

Hope to see everyone there.

Please don't mistake that I do not like this ride. I did mention that I had sent suggestions. They were well received. I had not heard that there were going to be changes made? Of course, I have not talked directly to any of the organizers since last fall and I did not expect them to contact me directly either.

These Dual Sport rides are such hard things, because it can mean different things to different people. I've been racing H.S. and enduros off and on for over 30 years. I've also been very active in trials competition. Lately the dual sport segment is taking off and I have begun to know some of these people and attend some of the events.

IMHO, the average D.S. rider, is someone who has no or very limited offroad exerpience. Or maybe it's a guy who had a dirt bike twenty years ago and is beginning to ride again. Most of these guys are riding 650 class or bigger bikes.

Organized D.S. events should state what the terrain is like and whether they are big bike friendly. Tougher trail sections are usually called "Hero" sections and the riders have the option of going around those sections. This was the only real complaint I had last year. Not a good description of the route and no alternatives for larger bikes or beginning riders.

I think these events are probably the hardest to promote and setup. I have been involved in helping many H.S., enduros and trials over the years. I have also organized a D.S. gravel road ride. You are trying to appeal to a wide variety of bikes and riders....tough job. When you're hosting an enduro, people know they are in for a challenging ride. Crap, the good riders complain if it's too easy! D.S. rides leave a lot to interpretation.

I have this ride on my schedule. I will tell other people to come. I may bring my 400# dirt bike again! Or maybe my 150# trials bike. Or maybe my boring, easy to ride fast 250X.

Please don't mistake that I do not like this ride. I did mention that I had sent suggestions. They were well received. I had not heard that there were going to be changes made? Of course, I have not talked directly to any of the organizers since last fall and I did not expect them to contact me directly either.

These Dual Sport rides are such hard things, because it can mean different things to different people. I've been racing H.S. and enduros off and on for over 30 years. I've also been very active in trials competition. Lately the dual sport segment is taking off and I have begun to know some of these people and attend some of the events.

IMHO, the average D.S. rider, is someone who has no or very limited offroad exerpience. Or maybe it's a guy who had a dirt bike twenty years ago and is beginning to ride again. Most of these guys are riding 650 class or bigger bikes.

Organized D.S. events should state what the terrain is like and whether they are big bike friendly. Tougher trail sections are usually called "Hero" sections and the riders have the option of going around those sections. This was the only real complaint I had last year. Not a good description of the route and no alternatives for larger bikes or beginning riders.

I think these events are probably the hardest to promote and setup. I have been involved in helping many H.S., enduros and trials over the years. I have also organized a D.S. gravel road ride. You are trying to appeal to a wide variety of bikes and riders....tough job. When you're hosting an enduro, people know they are in for a challenging ride. Crap, the good riders complain if it's too easy! D.S. rides leave a lot to interpretation.

I have this ride on my schedule. I will tell other people to come. I may bring my 400# dirt bike again! Or maybe my 150# trials bike. Or maybe my boring, easy to ride fast 250X.

I thought that your 250 was a 290 now, you bagger. This ride sounds like fun, my plated KTM 400 should be perfect. 2wheelchairs?? Bultaco??? wanta ride together??? Good place for Kev to ride his new 400 too!!! Its not a race so he can ride it, right?? :thumbsup::ride:

Flyin, how many of the enduro guys come and ride this ride???? :applause::applause:

I thought that your 250 was a 290 now, you bagger. This ride sounds like fun, my plated KTM 400 should be perfect. 2wheelchairs?? Bultaco??? wanta ride together??? Good place for Kev to ride his new 400 too!!! Its not a race so he can ride it, right?? :thumbsup::ride:

Flyin, how many of the enduro guys come and ride this ride???? :applause::applause:

I need to find out what's what with that weekend. Supposedly there's a H/S at BR (with a vintage class) that weekend. (:applause:) Until I get a job I can't afford to do both. I'd probably rather do the Byron ride anyway so yeah - I'm in. (naturally - on a vintage bike.)

There were several of us on old bikes there last year so you and Kev better be comfortable with your masculinity to ride with us. :applause:

I need to find out what's what with that weekend. Supposedly there's a H/S at BR (with a vintage class) that weekend. (:thumbsup:) Until I get a job I can't afford to do both. I'd probably rather do the Byron ride anyway so yeah - I'm in. (naturally - on a vintage bike.)

There were several of us on old bikes there last year so you and Kev better be comfortable with your masculinity to ride with us. :ride:

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I have issue's, but Kev's cool.

No, it's only a 250. I did put a high compression piston in, it made very little difference.

This is a fun event. I can ride my 640 Adventure again and that should give the vintage guys an edge on their lightweight racing bikes. If I was on my 250, I'd just want to go fast all the time. Actually, I ride my 640 as fast as I can, but it's all realative.

When is it? I haven't checked any dates.

I like it because it's laid back. Usually by that time of year I'm ready for just a trail ride, a few rest breaks, and to get laughed at by the macho off-roaders on their shiney modern bikes that believe it's a race. :ride:

I believe it's 11/4, and I'm assuming it's starting at the school in Leaf River like the enduro did. :thumbsup:

I like it because it's laid back. Usually by that time of year I'm ready for just a trail ride, a few rest breaks, and to get laughed at by the macho off-roaders on their shiney modern bikes that believe it's a race. :applause:

I believe it's 11/4, and I'm assuming it's starting at the school in Leaf River like the enduro did. :thumbsup:

Yes Ryan said it was starting at Leaf River, I told you I have issue's, is there sections that I can let it hang out some :ride::applause: I have to go nuts once in a while, you know??

Yes Ryan said it was starting at Leaf River, I told you I have issue's, is there sections that I can let it hang out some :thumbsup::ride: I have to go nuts once in a while, you know??

Most of the course is secluded enough that yes, you could probably let it hang out some. But I would prefer that you do that sort of thing in private when the rest of us aren't around. :applause::applause:

Most of the course is secluded enough that yes, you could probably let it hang out some. But I would prefer that you do that sort of thing in private when the rest of us aren't around. :applause::applause:

I'm sorry I just can't control myself, its the voices in my head that make me do it. :thumbsup::ride: