Sign in to follow this  

Starting WARM older 610's

I just finished re-doing a 94 TE610. It fires very quick when it's cold. But when the motor is hot it seems to take a lot longer. In fact I get kind of worn out getting her to fire up. What proceedures do you guys use? (Yeah, yeah, I know just push the button... I don't have one of those.) Throttle closed, cracked, open? Any help would be appreaciated. BTW, my jetting is very close to spot on.

Here is the latest pic. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/alumaweld/P4080028.jpg

If it has a Delordo,make sure the choke is completely off,they have a rubber tip on the choke plunger that goes hard,it can be pryed out and turned over if it has a divot in it,

the post 2000 float bowl is better,has an overflow out below the motor rather than into and flooding the motor also better floats,weld a washer behind the gear lever before it punchs a hole on the case,hot starts on my 350,no throttle and a full firm follow through kick from as high as the kicker would go so the auto decom would work,

if no start after 3 or 4 kicks,pull the manual decomp and with full throttle 6 or 8 kick troughs to clear it,them back to before,the mix screw was sensitive to a dirty air filter,I would set it halfway between the setting that worked with a dirty filter and a clean one.Get it warm and adj the screw for the smoothest running with either filter and split the difference.Turn the idle up a bit.Good luck I loved mine.IF ITS JETTED RIGHT YOU NEED THE CHOKE WHEN COLD,IF IT STARTS COLD WITHOUT THE CHOKE THE IDLE JET IS WRONG.

When any 4 stroke is hard to start hot the first question is, how is the valve adjustment?

Next how is the compression? You can not change jetting etc to cover up for an engine thats down on compression!! Proper test is called a "leak down test!"

Next is choke or hotstart related as covered in the posts above

Next is does it idle properly? The bigger the engine the slower the licker turns it over so it needs to idle perfect!

Thanks guys.

Yes the valves are adjusted. And yes there is great compression. In fact my foot is killing me because when at times I feel that it is past TDC it isnt. The guy I bought it from snapped the starter shaft. So yes compression is good.

I am going to go to a smaller idle jet, from a 62 to a 60. (Delorto carb) My guess is that it will improve the starting when hot. It starts first or second kick when cold without the choke. So my guess is the idle jet is too rich. This thing idles like a kitten. In fact, I raised the idle in hopes that a throttle off start would help things out.

Here is a pic of the almost finished product. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/alumaweld/P4100029.jpg

Any additional input is welcome.

Thanks again

Watch out for bad spark,The SEM ignitions are poor are at best.Check the stator for cracking.

Watch out for bad spark,The SEM ignitions are poor are at best.Check the stator for cracking.

If that were the case then wouldn't I have erratic misfiring or spark while riding a hot bike?

Found easiest way to adjust fuel mixture screw is to get bike hot, set idle as low as possible. Go clockwise or in on mixture screw if starts to rev up adjust speed down with idle speed screw, continue on turning idle mixture screw in until it starts to fall off then quickly go counter clockwise until it does same, then set it in the middle adjust idle speed back up a little, kill button then with no throttle should fire right up 1 kick then you know it is right. If it wants to start only fires once or twice but doesn't keep running turn idle speed screw in 1 full turn then if not quite 1/2 more turn when it fires just wait couple seconds then roll on throttle easy then couple little raps reset idle speed and done deal. This is of course cables having proper slack and choke(enricher functioning properly) and seating. Try it. Kind of rule of thumb if out more than 2 1/2 to lean on pilot if less than 1/2 turn to rich on pilot. Hope this helps Later George

Sorry for the late reply. I had to spend the week in So Cal on business. This evening I installed a smaller pilot jet and a new needle. Taking the advise from Dan at MOTOXOTICA AND GEORGE AT UPTITE, I kicked her over and she wouldn't fire. (about 4 kicks) Then I turned the choke on and she fired right up! :applause:

I let the motor get good and hot and then I set the air screw as George and Dan had advised. I let the motor get good and hot. Then I shut the motor off. Waited about 4-5 minutes and gave her a swift kick and she fired right up! :applause::applause::ride:

Then I rode the bike around the neighborhood for a few and parked it. I told my kids, guess what! I got it... Then I tried to start it and again she fired right up! YEAH BABY!!!!! It was a mild 97 degrees here in Sacramento so I know it starts hot now.

Thanks to all the input from you guys here on TT. What a major asset to the "old guy getting back into riding" You guys rock! Once again, a special thanks to Dan at MOTOXOTICA and George at UPTITE. By the way, MOTOXOTICA has just about anything a guy could want to restore an older Husky IN STOCK!!!! These folks drop what ever they are doing and spend time with their customers until they are finished shopping. Prices are more than fair and they ship UPS too. I cant say that about many dealerships in this part of the state.

Now it's time to spend som serious cash on some gear so I can go riding in the hills. Thanks again guys. :thumbsup: