Sign in to follow this  

A few questions about my new '05 KDX200

#1 Will that d :thumbsup: n chain ever stop stretching??? We only have about 5 rides on the bike, and I am getting tired and running short on cotter pins from doing all the adjusting :ride:

#2 does anyone have a jetting set up list by altitude??? we live at about 5800 ft. above sea level, can ride to elevations of 12-13000 ft and as low as Moab. :applause: Average riding will between 5800 to 7500ft. After reading the thread "is this wrong?", I don't have 2 stroke spooge dripping , I DO get a ring of 2 stroke snot on the silencer tip and A LOT of smoke even after warm up.( pre-mix ratio is 32:1)

I also feel the bike just isn't "crisp and snappy" like it should. Being brand new and my sons ride I am a bit reluctant to try the jetting thing without some sort of guidelines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

W.

04 KLX 110

04 KLX 300

05 KDX 200

You shouldn't have to remove the cotter pins to loosen the axle nut. I know i didn't when i adjusted my chain after break in, socket fit right over the cotter pin and you can loosen the axle nut enough without touching the pin. I feel your pain though with the chain. I've adjusted it once but it's a little slacky again, but not too bad with my weight on it so i've left it alone. I'm going to replace it with a Primary Drive Gold 0-ring chain once the riding season comes to an end, i'm milking the stocking one until then.

Can't help you with the jetting. The factory jetting seems good for my altitude about 2000ft. The only thing i'm doing now is leaning out my mixture. I started at 32/1 and slowly progressing towards 36/1 or 40/1, last tank was 34/1. Just too much splooge at 32/1. I bought my KDX in the middle of July and i'm just starting to get used to its' maintence needs.

#1 Will that d :thumbsup: n chain ever stop stretching???

No.....mine didn't ever stop stretching . I replaced it before it ruined the

sprockets. This stock chain was the worst chain that I've ever seen on a bike.

#1 Will that d :thumbsup: n chain ever stop stretching??? We only have about 5 rides on the bike, and I am getting tired and running short on cotter pins from doing all the adjusting :ride:

#2 does anyone have a jetting set up list by altitude??? we live at about 5800 ft. above sea level, can ride to elevations of 12-13000 ft and as low as Moab. :applause: Average riding will between 5800 to 7500ft. After reading the thread "is this wrong?", I don't have 2 stroke spooge dripping , I DO get a ring of 2 stroke snot on the silencer tip and A LOT of smoke even after warm up.( pre-mix ratio is 32:1)

I also feel the bike just isn't "crisp and snappy" like it should. Being brand new and my sons ride I am a bit reluctant to try the jetting thing without some sort of guidelines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

W.

04 KLX 110

04 KLX 300

05 KDX 200

I am surprised you are having stretching problems with your chain, I thought KDX's came stock with high quality o-ring chains? Maybe now they come with roller chains. If you do have a roller chain, I can tell you from much experience Kawasaki stock chains are pi$$ poor, and will stretch, and stretch, and streeeeetttttttcccchhhhh. BTW, I don't run cotter pins on the rear axle, too much of a PIA. I do however keep a close eye on the axle nut for tightness. Do some reading, as there is a TON of jetting tips and methods. The easiest thing to lean down your KDX is to drop the needle one clip position, you won't hurt anything by doing this. It will crispen up your throttle response between 1/3 and 3/4 throttle. Good luck,

Rich

What altitude is MOAB??

A spark plug chop reading will help determine the main. If the pilot is too lean, it will rev to the moon on cranking. Needless to say, go back up. :-) Just make one change at a time, and be aware that learning how to jet and tell the signs of good / needs improvement jetting is a great skill to learn. No magic chart will completely satisfy your needs, though you learning how to tell the difference in various areas of jetting will do it for you.

KDX200 = non o-ring chain

KDX220 = o-ring chain

I cant help as far as the chain, but I have delt with the jetting issue. I live in Colorado Springs and also ride at pretty high altitudes. I was told by a local shop that for riding mostly in the mountains to go 9% smaller on the main jet and leave the pilot alone. I will say that it runs pretty rich unless you are on it. I believe i have a 138 main and the stock (145?) pilot. Personally I think that you could also go bigger on the main and a couple sizes smaller on the pilot. I get a little spooge, but not too much. If you want help, you can email Jeff Fredette (click the link on the site) and ask him.

Good luck :thumbsup:

kdx's are not hot rods when new.I am sure they still come new with an air box snorkle,double wall pipe and about a 3/8 outlet on the silencer.The best way to wake it up and make it "snappy" is to run an FMF pipe and silencer-S/A and use their jetting specs as a baseline.replace that chain with a $60 RK o-ring before you ruin the sprockets and you will only adjust it once or twice a year.

I have an 06' KDX200 that i purchased in May. I too noticed the chain issues. My dad has an 05' KDX220 that we have yet to have to adjust the chain. Other than that,however, I love the 200. It's also my harescramble race bike.

It's been said in the past if your gonna put a O-ring chain on a 200 to swap out the rear chain guide to one off a 220. 200's is smaller in width IE. 220 is wider for the o-ring chain..

Also jetting is way off on stock KDX's. I own a 220 but have put a 200 carb on with a #7 slide,#4 clip on a DEK needle and a 42 pilot. BIG difference :thumbsup:

THANKS GUYS!!!! You are what makes this site GREAT !! :thumbsup::applause: Yes, I know jetting is an art form, I am just afraid to get into the jetting issue without some baseline/control numbers to start with.

Its raing good here tonite, so it maybe too wet to ride, so maybe I have a good chance to look at my jets...Once again THANKS SO MUCH!!! :ride: