Sign in to follow this  

I need help to convince my parents to let me start racing

I need help to convince my parents to let me start racing, i have been asking them for 6 mounths, they keep saying they dont want me to get hurt, im 14 and have broken my sholder in 3 places and collor bone in 2, i can take pain. my dad says he dosent want to get in to racing, but i am just going to do a llittle motocross and some endro. i have a 02 wr250, tricked and set up for racing. my mom says wen ur 18 and u move out, and thats to late for me to get any good. please give me some advise for me to tell them.

thanx

If I were in your position, I would find a local Hare Scramble to enter. Thats mostly amateur and not really a big jump style course.. Trails through woods and such, Enduro! anyways, do a HS and show them that you are a good rider and are safe also and can hang with the best of them. A HS are agressive but I would say not so much as SX or MX and defenitley not as dangerous!!! Explain that to them that Is more of semi-hard amost relaxing ride and very amateur oriented get them to look at website ad literature and shiow them it is right for you. If your not into Enduro riding or Hare Scrambles,well then I dont know.. But it';s a start at least and you might have fun!

are you allowed to play football? there was a thread somewhere on this site about bicycle injuries compared to dirtbikes and one of them said that motocross and football were pretty close in injuries and deaths but I think MX probably had worse injuries. i don't see what is so horrible about pain. Without some sort of struggle in life there is no reason to live. pain is just something to overcome. as far as dying- you are just as likely to die from anything else out there as long as you wear protection and ride smart.

It's already too late for you to become a pro anyway. You can still get very good without racing. Like was already said try to convince them to let you try some off road stuff. Your bike will not be good for true motocross anyway. I want my kids to have a better opportunity than me, but I have not much sympathy. My parents would not even let me have a bike, forget about racing! I did not get my own dirtbike until I was 25.

if u wr is set up for racing then race iam 15 and only been riding for 9 months and love it my parents want me race only thing is i have to be helpfull and have good grades tell them to use racing as an incentive for u to be helpfull and hold ur grades it worked for me hopefully it works and make sure to maybe bring up the classic rember when u were a teen and wanted to do something but ur parents would let u but put passion to it :thumbsup:

14 is not to late to turn pro. prob too late to win races at a national level tho.

You are correct, 14 is not too late to turn pro. Just ignore the naysayers. If you want to be pro, plan on how to work smart, and get into the habit of succeeding.

As for getting your parents to approve your racing, I think that they see the Supercross jumps on TV and think that you will be attempting that sort of activity right away, and don't want to see you get hurt so they say no as a result. If you bring them down to the track, and let them see the tykes on their 60cc bikes, as well as the beginners on in the 125 and 250 classes, they will see what real amateur racing is all about and that the riders don't usually go that fast (in the beginner classes). You might want to cut the tour short so that they don't see the intermediates and pros whipping and clearing the big jumps! Your folks don't need to see that quite yet.

You can also let them in on your plan, and that your plan calls for no alcohol or drugs, healthy and clean living, hanging with people who won't drag you down, that sort of thing. You could also show them articles on how to work out and eat correctly and that you are commited to your sport and that every sport champion has family members in their corner. How can they argue with that?

Good luck with it.

First off, motocross is not that dangerous when you are first starting out. The dirt is soft and it doesnt really mess you up that much to crash hard. I crashed on a 60ft double and I am okay. Sure I was really sore the next day but it didnt prevent me from going about my normal life.

You should have her talk to a track owner or somebody at your local shop (I mean shop not a dealer) about how racing can be safe if you take your time and dont ride over your head. You could also go out to a track on race day and watch a few of the classes. At my race last weekend a bunch of people crashed, and they crashed hard too but the only person that got hurt was an old guy.

Lastly, understand that your parents do have a reason to be nervous about letting you race. It is a whole differant atmosphere when you are racing and you will make yourself go for things that you wouldnt regularly feel comfortable doing.

You will need a YZ125 or YZ250F if you want to get serious about motocross.

I feel ur pain man, ive got same problem :applause:!!! I started rirding when i was 14 and started get better and better everytime i rode! When i turned 15 i got some freinds who rode at the track, so i wanted to ride at the track! I usually rode at the desert! Then in the summer since u cant ride at the desert its too hot, my Dad sarted taking me to the track and there i was getting pretty good too :ride:! Then last Saptember i went to the track ive never been on and by the end of the day there i cleared all the jumps except for the one f***ing tabletop and i decided too go for it :applause: BIG MISTAKE!!! I took off and everithing went wrong. The lip was very steep and tabletop was about 40-50 feet long. So when i hit it My bike was starting to go backwards more and more and when it got to 90 degrees, i let it go it was almost right before the landing which i overjumped by like 10 feet!!! Any ways my bike came out of it as clean as possible nothing broken etc. I eended up tearing a ligament in the left knee!! I went to doctor they took x-rays and stuff and said there was nothing btoken and told me until it heals up! In about March i was riding again, was goin through a corner my left leg cought in dirt and i blew it out again! We went to the doc, they took MRI this time and told my that the ligament was torn and i needed a surgery! My Dad wasnt happy about that at all.It takes 6 months to completly reacover and start riding again Had my surgery on July 19th(BTW im 17 now) I keep asking him if i can start racing and he wont let me. I can start riding in January again and the racing series here starts in March so i would have couple more months to get back in shape and start racin, but he just wont let me. He said he wont even take me to the track anymore I told him that shit happens and its all part of the sport and that ive learbed my mistake and that i wont do n e thing stupid again, i just wanna race! Nothing seem to work :thumbsup: He said once u turn 18 and live on ur own u can do whatever u want to do! So be it, once i move out ill start going to the track and start racing when ever i feel like it :thimbsup: Hey better later than never!

Just take them to the track and show them how amerature racing is like 1 big happy family. Here in WI it seems that almost everyone knows everyone and on any givin day if you need a favor from anyone they will gladly help you out. I have made lots of new friends and so have my parents since I started racing. It seems that most of the parents at the track care just as much about other kids as they do their own. That's what I think makes motocross so special. just a thought, erick

Well, I'm 40 years older than you, and your story brings back many memories. My folks were dead set against motorcycles, period. But, I persisted and eventually I did it on my own. Both of my folks are gone now, but later in life, after I had spent many years racing and riding both on the road and off, My mom, dad and I talked about my experiences and the the whys of their not wanting me to ride or race. My mom told me that in her wildest dreams, she never thought that I would stick to motorcycling, that she thought it was just a teenage rebellion thing and that I would move on from it in short order, plus, she was from a generation that thought ALL motorcycle people were the "Wild One" types. She told me that 30 years on , she realized that motorcycle people were good people, and that she actually admired them and me for our adventurous spirit. My dad's concern was mainly my well being, but as my brothers and I grew up, he realized that there were alot of things that he couldn't protect us from, and that if motorcycling, including racing was all he had to worry about,we were pretty safe.

Keep emphasizing the family aspect of racing and riding, the positive parts like learning responsibility, and sportsmanship. Get your siblings involved, if they don't ride, they can be your pit help or score at the races. There are alot of things they can do. Spend time with your dad in the garage working on your bike(s). Let them see that the people you'll be involved with are down to earth and are a positive influence. Show them that you are and will be VERY safety conscience. Show them a willingness to EARN your racing and riding time by doing chores, working hard in school and doing your best, and finding ways to earn the money that it takes to go racing.

Good luck to you, even though I'm almost old enough to be your Grand father, I know what you are feeling. It's a burning desire that never goes away, I still have it as strong today as it did when I was your age, that's why I'm still at it after all these years. Being involved in motorcycles and racing has taken me places and given me experiences I never dreamed I would have. Hang in there.

• Like 1