Sign in to follow this  

Leveling my bike in the air

Hi, I am somewhat new to Motocross-style riding. I have, however, been riding trails on thumpers and some 2 and 4 stroke quads. Anyways I went to Irish Valley MX park some time ago and absolutely loved riding the supercross track there (this is in NEPA BTW). I was a little aprehensive and held back about doing some of the doubles in the rhythm section and other assorted jumps there especially on the motocross course, mostly because several time when I jumped tabletops or smaller jumps either my front end would be too high in the air and I'd land back tire first or the back end was in the air and I would land on front wheel first. I noticed some guys there, and I sat on my bike and watched for awhile and "studied" them, Of course I have watched MX and SX for years though but up close is cool. anyways I always see hitting front brake and rear brake and revving throttle to level bike. Can someone tell me what does what and if front and rear brakes, and throttle actually do anything in terms of leveling my bike out mid-jump?

I also shold mention I am 25, really skinny I weigh 123, and hieght is 5' 6 1/2". The bike im riding is a '90 kx80 bored 2mm over Pro Circuit Plat Pipe FmF shorty.. It's really nice and fast. I know alot of you wil sya It sway too small for me, and you are right I doscoverd that, at the IrishValley. BUT like I said I ride trails and I love it in the woods, It's light and I can throw it around, and climb steepp goat opath-liek hills liek they are nothin it really fun too!!.. So, the small bike and my heigth and weight a defenitie reason why I'm goin squirrely in the air sometimes? I am going up too a 125 next spring for MX and SX. But I would stil like to know about front, rear brakes for leveling purposes

Thank You,

SJF :thumbsup:

Revving the throttle will make your front end go up. Back brake will make your front end drop. Not sure about front brake.

Hitting the front brake in the air will bring the nose down, just not as well as hitting the back.

Applying the front brake will also kill the gyroscopic effect, and render it much more difficult to position the bike in the air.

With the rear tire, you could stop/start it as many times as you wanted in mid-air until landing.

Just remember this only works for small position changes. Too far forward or backward in the air and it does not matter how much you gas it or how hard you hit the brake. If you are just starting hit the face of the jump straight in the standing position gripping the bike with your knees. If you are not clearing tables land rear wheel first on the gas and this will take a lot off the impact until you can clear them. Have fun and good luck

no the back brake doesnt make the front end drop it raises the back tire up.. and if you rev the throttle in the air it raises your front end

thanks everyone, I appreciate every answer. I love to ride and ride fast sometimes, but like to be safe always, so I will defenitely practice as much as I can before I open it up again as much as I did..

I like to jump a little off the throttle if my distance can clear it. I get her going good and let off a lil b4 the jump so the front end dives a little and right before i hit the ground i let her RIP. That gets the front end back up and me out of that landing asap. plus it roost the people behind you more than normal because your tire is spinning faster than normal. I've never tried hitting the front brake in mid-air becuase my dad said your fron tire needs to be as close to going the same speed as the ground going under you.