Sign in to follow this  

Rad guards

The two most popular rad guards for the DRZ seem to be the unabikers and the flatlanders. Does anyone have any thoughts which one would be better for my 06 400e? I have read in other posts that some people are having trouble fitting the unabikers on. Is that true? Is this only an issue on the 400 s? How easy is it to install the flatlanders?

The only real choice for me was the unabikers. Not much of a problem with the install, in fact really easy for me since bronco did it while I was doing something else :thumbsup: . The protection is second to none though.

I had to pretty much butcher my Unabikers to fit on my S, the Dremel cutting tool does wonders. The left one fit with minor grinding next to the Yosh header, but on the right one I had to grind off a section that was hitting the motor and re-drill two of the mounting holes. Not very impressed with the fit of the product, espcially given that its almost 100 bucks. However, many other folks have had no problems with the Unabikers.

Thanks for the quick response. I am curious why the unabikers were really the only choice for you?

I just felt they were signifacantly stronger than anything else on the market at the time I bought them.

My Unabikers went on fantabulous.Absolutely no issues whatsoever.It is a pretty close fit though and I just started everything loose and lined it all up before tightening it all down.I have the newer one piece guards if that makes any difference.I used all the hardware provided in the kit.It even works great with the Clarke 3.9 tank and Low Gel seat.

I have a DRZ400E 2005, in Italy it comes with lights & horns.

I got the Unabikers rad guards in the 2 pieces version; it was a real pain to fit them in my bike, since the rods were too short, some of the bolts too, completely misaligned holes, and an extremely close fit with the left rad hose.

I had to enlarge some holes, use several washers to accomodate for the short rods, use longer bolts, and reposition the horn.

Almost a nightmare, but at the end of story the level of protection seems to me very very high.

Yes, I'll buy them again.

Installed the Unabikers on my "E" as well. Once installed, they offer great protection :thumbsup: , but the initial fit on the left side was crap :applause: . Rear support arm was pushing the rad hose into the rear of the rad and I had to retap all of the support bars. :applause: I ended up cutting off the rear support arm and making my own with a bend to clear the hose.

Unabiker admitted that there was a design change which moved the rear support arm from in front of the rad hose to behind, something about restricted airflow. Most people who have the earlier versions claim to have had no difficulty in installation, people installing the later version seem to have the same issues. :applause: With that said...they do offer solid protection once installed.

I have heard that the Flatlanders do not provide the level of protection that you get with the Unabikers. Devols have also been good to me in the past. :ride:

unabikers here,

had my students install them after checking to see that they would go on ok. Because of tolerances in bending metal on a shearpress, there will always be a bit of aligning needed. Start by tweaking them to get them close then start all fasteners loose then tighten them all together a bit at a time. Be sure to unbolt your rads as well so that the guards become part of the rads. Header clearance is tight but can be enlarged with grinder in a couple of secs. The fit is perfect. The protection is excellent. The bike can crash and slide beautifully now.

I put the Unabikers on my '05 E model a short time ago and had several fitment issues. I had to enlarge the gas tank mount bolt holes to allow more adjustment (the guards were pulling the bottom of the rads backward). The lower shroud bolts are really too short (newest kits come with longer bolts now) to secure well. Mine were a considerable pain in the ass to install, but I will agree that once mounted they offer near bulletproof protection. The completely enclose the rads and have stiff bars on top and bottom of rad face to protect from crushing when the bike lands on its side.

My unibikers went on well. You just have to loosely fit everything before you tighten anything down. They are well made and look like they will protect the radiators well. The holes are slotted to allow for some adjustment. If your bike is already abused before you mount them, you might have some difficulty.

Quick question:

How does the Quantity work on the TT store for the unabiker guards.

100 for a SET? (quantity 1)?

or 100 left and 100 for the right?

Quick question:

All you do is enter the quantity desired in the left box.Most normally order 1 set.The next column on the right gets a check to add the model you have just chosen to your shopping cart.Pretty simple.

I ordered Flatlands guards for my 2005 DRZS, which also had a Clarke 3.9 tank. They fit like crap, I was shorted on hardware, and they were flimsy. I ordered the Unabikers and sent the Flatlands back.

It took a while to get everything lined up (keep everything loose until started), but once they were on they seemed MUCH stronger. IMHO, they look better too.

Rad guards are always sold in pairs, unless the bike has only one rad, like some of the small 2 strokes.

Quick question: