Coolant overflow tank

Anybody tried to put an overflow tank from the X on an R?? I'd try to, but the WC skid plate on my X has been "used" too many times and I can't get the lower engine mount out without some serious work to see if it'll work on the R. I've actually got granite embedded in the skid plate, makes me appreciate it a lot!

Still being freshly hazed to the stroker experience, I gotta ask...since I've heard answers at both ends of the pendulum.

Is coolant loss through the vent/overflow tube really a big enough problem to even spend the time doing this? Although I bought a 450R, I do woods/harescramble type riding nearly exclusively (I've just always preferred the full blown, hot rod version of a bike and would rather add the few things that I personally need to make it woods worthy as opposed to getting the more mellow factory woods oriented bike and spend a lot more money altering it to get it back to hot rod characteristics). While it did spew some small amounts out during the first break in ride-straight from the showroom floor, the last ride I was on was into the mountains of West (By Gawd) Virginia, and as much as I was stealing peeks at the o/flow, there wasn't one instance when I saw it discharging. Several people have told me that as delivered by the shop, the coolant is typically overfilled, and at op.temps that excess would "boil off". I have yet to add any coolant since I bought the bike, and the level is still well above the tops of the radiator fins, well less than an inch from the "neck" that the cap screws onto.?

I never had a problem on my '03, tho I did have to add coolant on occasion. But I do a lot of riding in the desert, when its warm out there and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Never had a problem on my X that I know of either but never have had to add a drop in 1 1/2 years and 2500 miles

I have been riding my '06 since January in the trails. I have not seen any ned to add a overflow tank because the bike doesn't spew coolant. Ride yours how you like it and check to see if it is going low. I don't think that it will be. ?

i used my frame for a coolant overflow and has worked perfect for over 3 years. it was very simple to do and everyone likes the look of collant hoses routing into my frame if interested i will explain in detail

Curiosity's 'bout to get this old cat...got any pic's of that setup?

• Like 1

Here is the pic of the $2.99 overflow I made using an blue ice substitute thing. I installed it behind the left # plate. I used the Igloo blue ice thing that separates a six pack. I got it at walmart. I emptied all the blue stuff out, purchased a rubber stopper at the HM depot & some tubing w/fittings. I also bought some plastic bond to make sure the fittings didn't leak. I used some stainless wire to hold it in place. I used tubing over the wire to protect the "puke tank" from getting damaged. I think the pic would be better if the bike was clean. Sorry, I just got back from a Mammoth ride yesterday.

IMG_0730Custom.jpg

An important tip is that the fittings need to be on tight to the tubing. You can do this by hose clamps, stainless wire ties, whatever. Since the overflow principle works on vacuum it is imperative that the fittings cannot suck any air, thus loosing any benefit to the overflow. One thing in the pic you'll notice is the fitting towards the front of the bike is not in the coolant. This alone will cancel out the vacuum effect. I need to install a fitting at the bottom of the coolant tank so the line will stay in the coolant. Also, it is important if you're having cooling issues is to check you're rad cap.