Sign in to follow this  

Taming the Beast

I have a rather high-strung '06 TC 510 that I have been using for deep woods riding, my only complaint that is in the very tight single track too much clutch work is causing my bike to overheat. I am currently running 12/50 sprockets which offer a great improvement over stock 14/47. On trails with a good flow it temp is no problem but when it comes to the really tight stuff (sneaking around in the trees) it is a cause for concern.

I am looking for advice on what might be possible solutions for my problem. Would flywheel weights solve this? If so what are good ones to use? Who has them?

I don`t want to be a smartass. :applause: But you are trying to use a dragbike deigned for MX track dragracing, for woods riding. :applause:

I see this type of questions comming all the time here att TT. Problem riding in the woods with a MX bike.Hard suspension, to much power, need biger flywheel, to fast on first gear, no light etc etc.

There is a reason wy most motorcycle brands have different models for Enduro and MX. :applause:

Most EUR brands have fine Enduromodels we can use to win a Sweden nationals, even WEC/EC champion. right out the box. Without any supermods and bling bling. Ofcourse a tall rider need taller seat etc.

My tip

12/50 gearing. OEM 14/50

Flywheelweight OEM flywheel on a TC same as TE models (not TC250)

Expansiontank (TE)

Engine ice, or some other product like that.

Lower compression

JD jetting

Softer suspension, higher speed in tights trails.

Happy riding Klas :ride::thumbsup:

I am using "Engine Ice" in my bikes with no over heating problems. Since your bike is a 06 maybe it is jetted a little lean? Try re jetting? I know that the Washington state dealer Tasky's metric cycle has installed weight on TC 450 flywheels so you might call them about that flywheel weight.

I mainly ride a 05 TE450 on tight trails and am pretty happy on it. Makes great tamales too!

Finally...another TC 510 owner!

I thought I was the only one!

You are headed in the right direction with your gearing however you will start to dis-like it on a MX track.

Along with the other recommendations above I think the most important one is to invest in a JD jetting kit. I am sure it is too lean from the factory. You may also need to time your ap duration. You will find several threads on this here at TT.

While we are on the subject...

Fasst Co Flexx bars made a hugh difference with the vibrations that the 510 dishes out. Stock bars are too stiff although they are great on the 450.

ACE suspension mods were a must for my type of riding.

If you haven't already, install the e-start. You will never go back!

Yeah, it seems like there everyone has the 450s and the 510 is a rare bird.

I love my TC 510, it is a suitable replacement for my XR600 in terms of raw power. I find the suspension works really well for my weight once it is dialed in, it wheelies easily off of big drop offs in the woods. Getting one of my lighting setups onto it was very straightforward and it is a blast for night riding. It is quick and painless to swap sprockets on this thing, but it is only used for woods, never sees the track so that is the main focus of my build on this machine.

I have the JD jetting kit in it, I'll have to spend a little time tuning to see if I can squeeze a little more out of it. Any reccomendations in terms of what might work best?

Have to get my hands on some of that Engine Ice and see if that makes a difference.

I have the JD jetting kit in it, I'll have to spend a little time tuning to see if I can squeeze a little more out of it. Any reccomendations in terms of what might work best?

Read the sticky on jetting a 510 at the top of the Husky forum page, see'ms most are very happy with the results :thumbsup:

While we are on the subject...

Fasst Co Flexx bars made a hugh difference with the vibrations that the 510 dishes out. Stock bars are too stiff although they are great on the 450.

how bad are the 510's vibes? do you think it's more on the TC? the reason i ask is i have an '07 TE 510 on the way. i've ridden 2 different ktm's (an '02 520 MXC & '05 525 MXC) to me neither of these bike had enough vibration to make me think about it! in fact i was thinking , man these things have NO vibration! i'm coming off an '04 KX 500 and that think vibrates like an electric chair! :thumbsup:

my question is, to anyone who knows first hand,..... would you consider the 510 closer to a ktm in terms of vibration, or the kx??

how bad are the 510's vibes? do you think it's more on the TC? the reason i ask is i have an '07 TE 510 on the way. i've ridden 2 different ktm's (an '02 520 MXC & '05 525 MXC) to me neither of these bike had enough vibration to make me think about it! in fact i was thinking , man these things have NO vibration! i'm coming off an '04 KX 500 and that think vibrates like an electric chair! :thumbsup:

my question is, to anyone who knows first hand,..... would you consider the 510 closer to a ktm in terms of vibration, or the kx??

Seems to me the TCs don't have a balance shaft like the TEs and SMRs. My '05 SM510 has less vibration than my old '87 KX500.

The only time i notice any vibration on my te 510 is riding on the road from the nobby tires. I had issues with overheating in tight single tracks and some long hillclimbs where you tend to use the clutch a bit. Rejetted carbie helped a lot and also engine ice helps. I am giong to try the 1.4 radiator cap as well. Keeping bike moving , switching it of when you are waiting for your mates to catch up or to get out of your way helps as well. Mind you turning it off is easier knowing you have an electric start.

When I first jumped on my '06 TE510 I noticed that it vibrates much more than my DRZ-400E. Not objectionally more, but noticably more.

Now that I've been riding the 510 for a while I don't notice the vibs unless I switch back to the DRZ for some reason.

I haven't yet noticed an overheating problem with my 510, which has the JD kit in it and has been unrestricted as much as possible.

I've ridden some tight single track but none that goes on for miles and miles. Usually there will be a tight section and then it opens up and I can get some air moving across the bike.

I do not know why it vibrates more than the TE. I was told that the TE has a counter balancer and the TC doesn't. Husky may have wanted to save $ or just keep the weight down. I don't know.

What I do know is that after a 20 min. moto my hands were feeling it pretty bad.

However, it would not be a concern or consideration regarding the TE.

I would have it over the KTM and KX.

I usual foam my bars on any dirt bike I buy. Cuts down on vibration a lot. Learned that decades ago from DB before brake snake was invented. On cooling, my old XR 650 would overheat as well when going slow. I used the Kawasaki 1.8 cap and it went away completely. Steny