Sign in to follow this  

staying in the ruts?

i recently joined my local mx track/club. i have only ridden there 4 times and everyone tells me im doing very well. im clearing everything and im going pretty fast through the whole track. im new to riding on a track so the one thing im having a hard time with is turns. im pretty fast on the not so sharp turns but i have a problem with the tighter turns and staying in the ruts. i go fairly slow through these turns; basically coasting. whenever i get on the thottle to try and get through these turns faster i end up going out of the rut or i wash out and sometimes both. what can i do to really improve my turns?

try 1. sitting further up on the seat, not with your balls on the tank like some say but up there a little. 2. roll your hips foward in the turn or lean foward from the hips slightly. 3. roll the throttle smoothly. try not to use clutch or jump on the gas.

ruts also take some commitment. you have to get on the gas at least a little and you have to commit to lean over a little, simultaniously. if you do them at seperate times you will jerk around, fall over, or pop out of the rut. when you get more confidence you can lean it over far and get on the gas harder.

Stay loose on the bike, look ahead where you want to go (end of the rut), sit on the front of the bike (like said above) on the corner of the seat, try to keep your body verticle while leaning the bike over in the rut, keep your leg out near the forks... You can also drag the front brake a little to help keep the front wheel planted in the rut. Smooth on the power and commitment.

As you enter the rutted turn, keep your elbows up as you apply throttle, leg out by the front axle bolt and lightly drag the front brake as you lean the bike over. It's a lot to do all at once but w/ practice it will become second nature to you Gene. Practice! :thumbsup:

try 1. sitting further up on the seat, not with your balls on the tank like some say but up there a little. 2. roll your hips foward in the turn or lean foward from the hips slightly. 3. roll the throttle smoothly. try not to use clutch or jump on the gas.

ruts also take some commitment. you have to get on the gas at least a little and you have to commit to lean over a little, simultaniously. if you do them at seperate times you will jerk around, fall over, or pop out of the rut. when you get more confidence you can lean it over far and get on the gas harder.

i agree except with the nuts on the tank part. In some corners i get em on the gas cap for the first part and usually theres a rut that goes wide coming out of it and you jus lean back with ur crotch in the same place(if that makes since) also don't stay with your bike but stay on top of it. don't lean with your bike because that usually causes your tire to come out from underneath you.

I think your problem is that you're entering really slow, and then trying to hammer on the gas. Keep your weight forward to keep your front wheel in. Practice going in a little quicker so that you will already be leaned over for when you roll on the gas.

I've learned that looking at your fender doesn't help. Before you're really in the rut just look at where it ends and ahead, it really helps not to look at the rut, while you're in it, just look a head and pretty much what they all said and you'll be good.