Sign in to follow this  

250 or 450?????

hey. i cant decide if i should get a 2007 wr250f or a wr450f.which one do you think i should get and why? im 5'9 and weigh 110 pounds. im not going to get it for about 3-4 months though.

thanks

I dont know about the WR but I sold my 2003 YZ450F a month ago and just bought a 2006 YZ250F yesterday. I have riden the 250F for a few days, and MAN it is more fun than my 450. The 450 power was GREAT! but it was at a high price. I mean, if you screwed up a tiny bit with the throttle, you will get hurt. My 250F on the other hand is just plain more fun. It is lighter, handles better, and less penalty if you hit the gas too much. So if you have Chad Reed throttle and bike control, go for the 450! If not, the 250 is a top-shelf ride for sure!!

The 250 is by NO MEANS whimpy. It gets me out of corners plenty quick to make the short double where I ride, when my friends YZ125 two-stroke will not. Of course my 450 would too, but it was harder to get it through that same corner right to set up the jump.

I am 6 foot and 165lb if that helps with your decision. These bikes do sit kinda high though.

oh. thanks. i was thinking of geting a wr and a yzf. the wr for open riding and trails and the yzf for tracks.and i might be 6 foot by the time i get it.

If you are 110 pounds, the 250F will have plenty of power (make sure to do the free mods, especially the THROTTLE STOP). Unless you want to be able to do 85+ on fire roads, I don't think you would need or want the 450. If you ride tight, technical stuff then I think the 250 is without a doubt the better choice (more nimble, less fatiguing to ride etc.)

I dont know about the WR but I sold my 2003 YZ450F a month ago and just bought a 2006 YZ250F yesterday. I have riden the 250F for a few days, and MAN it is more fun than my 450. The 450 power was GREAT! but it was at a high price. I mean, if you screwed up a tiny bit with the throttle, you will get hurt. My 250F on the other hand is just plain more fun. It is lighter, handles better, and less penalty if you hit the gas too much. So if you have Chad Reed throttle and bike control, go for the 450! If not, the 250 is a top-shelf ride for sure!!

The 250 is by NO MEANS whimpy. It gets me out of corners plenty quick to make the short double where I ride, when my friends YZ125 two-stroke will not. Of course my 450 would too, but it was harder to get it through that same corner right to set up the jump.

I am 6 foot and 165lb if that helps with your decision. These bikes do sit kinda high though.

dude same thing happend to me, how much did you sell your 450 for (still trying to sell mine)? And I completely agree with what you said about both bikes.

I wouldn't waste money on a WR at all, I hear they have problems and everybody I see on here whines about the lack of horsepower. The YZ250F on the other hand has more power than you'll ever need, is reliable and easy to work on, and the suspension and handling are top notch. Just add some handguards if you want to go trail riding. Maybe change air pressure in the tires if that works. It's awesome stock w/o need for any modifications. Of course if you go trail riding you may be required to get a quiet Forest Service approved spark arrestor.

Id go with a 250F. At 110 pounds you might have a hard time controlling a 450 and to be honest, a 250F will have plenty of power.

I wouldn't waste money on a WR at all, I hear they have problems and everybody I see on here whines about the lack of horsepower. The YZ250F on the other hand has more power than you'll ever need, is reliable and easy to work on, and the suspension and handling are top notch. Just add some handguards if you want to go trail riding. Maybe change air pressure in the tires if that works. It's awesome stock w/o need for any modifications. Of course if you go trail riding you may be required to get a quiet Forest Service approved spark arrestor.

What do yo mean a waste of money?? The WR is one of the most reliable bikes out there today. As far as power goes, there is plenty after the free mods and piping it. I think you mean the crf.

Im 6ft and 170

Go with the 250f. My 05 flat rips on the track. Its a bit tougher to ride in the hills, but you just need to get it up in rpm's and keep it there. You got to ride it a bit harder, but thats where the hit is at. It will rev to the moon if ya got the sack!

If you just want to lug around on the trail, go with a WR, but if your gonna throw some laps down its YZ all the way......

Ive owned a YZ 250 smoker, an "02" YZ426 the most balls out machine ever. Way too much bike for me at the time. Then I found the KTM 450EXC, the Ultimate trail machine, what a confidence booster. But, The day I threw a leg over the "05" YZ250F, Everything Changed.... I can ride that bike better and faster than any other bike Ive owned. Its light, quick and nimble as hell. The damn thing is Bullet proof too. Like I said it will rev to the moon. I still cant wring it out on the track, but I'm trying every week. the Poor 450 just sits in the garage now.

i went through something similiar i went up to the yzf450 from a 250f and then i made the switch back the 250f. 450 was too much work, hard to corner, and i was faster around the track on the 250f. 250f is alot funner and easier to corner fast and forgiving. i still race it in the 250 class and bet alot of 450s around